PDR?

• Sponsors (?)

depends how large the dent is... most of the time they wont be taking a panel off...

usually, its a pluger type deal.. its hard to explain.. ill try and find some pics of the tool.

ding-king.jpg

center part sticks to the inside of the dent and then to the tool... the ends of the tool are then screwed to add length and eventually press against the car putting pressure on the center of the dent and pulling it out. this only works on small dents though.

poneypower89 said:
Ok.. im idiot

:lol: That's not what I meant :lol:

Most places do it incorrectly. My insurance company is the ONLY one who won't pay to have it done that way (handle and glue)...

You're correct- that's how most places do it, or do it yourself'rs do it :nice:

:shrug:

I've had it done before on my old firebird. It worked just fine. But I sold the thing 3 months later (partly the reason for fixing the dents) I had no idea they had a chance of coming back, I would hate to be that new owner going... WTF? How did my car get dents just sitting in the garage???

PDR is done by a large amount of push rods that are very flexable. You go in behind the ding and slowly bend it and massage it back to form. The dent returning is news to me and I find it very hard to believe knowing the way metal works. If you work the dent out its not gonna come back just sitting around. Heat wouldnt even make it return unless you stretch the metal so far it becomes oil canned and then the dent would not be fixed anyway.

Teeto's5.0 said:
PDR is done by a large amount of push rods that are very flexable. You go in behind the ding and slowly bend it and massage it back to form. The dent returning is news to me and I find it very hard to believe knowing the way metal works. If you work the dent out its not gonna come back just sitting around. Heat wouldnt even make it return unless you stretch the metal so far it becomes oil canned and then the dent would not be fixed anyway.

:scratch: did you read a couple of posts up???

Dent repairs, like hailstorm damages?

Heard about some guys doing dent repairs with liquid nitrogen and or dry ice, musta been about 10 years ago when last heard of it.

Is the kit with the crossbars suction cups and glue worth $50 bucks? I just have some real no-brainer little hail spots to remove and I didnt know if anybody else had used it before or if it was one of those little scam kits?

shlby123 said:
Is the kit with the crossbars suction cups and glue worth $50 bucks? I just have some real no-brainer little hail spots to remove and I didnt know if anybody else had used it before or if it was one of those little scam kits?

if you have a store around you that you can get dry ice from, that is usually enough for small hail dents... if you havent used it before, use some thick gloves and a pair of tongs... dont let it touch the paint.. just get it close... it shrinks the metal, thus popping the dent out.

shlby123 said:
kickass. where can somebody get dry ice?

my local grocery store had it... thats where i got mine from... my girlfriends accord had a little ding in it from where i whacked a golf ball into it (dont ask) i brought it to the dealership here, and had the PDR guy look at it.. he said he couldnt use the PDR method because it is behind a brace in the door.. he told me about using the dry ice, and that was about 8 months ago, and the dent hasnt come back or anything.

shlby123 said:
ok, I tried using the dry ice, but unless Im just inept with how it's supposed to work, the dry ice really didnt do anything at all?

i looked it up and this is the method i used. I didnt have to let it touch the metal though.. but on here it says it might be required in some applications...

Dry Ice will condense metal and thereby shrink small dents on your car. Place the Dry Ice on the inside of the dent if possible. Use heavy gloves and press flat sheet against dent. If it is not possible to get on the inside concave part of the dent, then using heavy gloves hold the Dry Ice so a corner can fit into the bottom lowest part of the cratered dent. Hold the Dry Ice until the metal is frosted at least 2 inches beyond the dent. Let the metal warm up (in the sun is the best) and repeat the procedure. Sometimes the dent will pop out perfectly. More often it will not be possible to get a flat smooth finish, but the dent will be reduced noticeably. Creased metal will still show the crease line but the dent will be far less pronounced. I have not seen any paint damage, but I'm sure if the paint is not strongly adhered, it could peel away.

:shrug: