people with shifters look!

jrc_03_gt

Jan 1, 2004
I just talked to a guy from tremec transmissions. He told me if I add a aftermarket shifter to remove the stops. He said you cant over shift the transmission. He also said most people who install them do it wrong by setting stops too short. He said you will do damage to transmission if you are not fully engaged. Has anyone removed their stops?

• Sponsors (?)

jrc_03_gt said:
I just talked to a guy from tremec transmissions. He told me if I add a aftermarket shifter to remove the stops. He said you cant over shift the transmission. He also said most people who install them do it wrong by setting stops too short. He said you will do damage to transmission if you are not fully engaged. Has anyone removed their stops?
I would not remove them. Just follow the directions. If you remove them you should have just kept your stock shifter in.

I removed the stops

When I installed my Hurst shifter, I contacted Tremec also, and was told the same thing, so I removed the stops. It seems the problem isn't so much with the stops being set wrong, as it is with them becoming loose and causing a "jump out of gear" situation, which overstresses the rails causing them to flex and bend! I was told that all new Tremec trannys come with internal rail stops that will make it almost impossible to overshift the trans, so the external shifter stops are really redundant, and like in the above example can cause more harm than good. Can't say I miss having them in there and I powershift the car alot!

How is removing the stops going to help anything? If the shifter isnt hitting the stops to begin with then removing them isnt going to make a difference. I guess if you are paranoid you can back them out a little more.

The guy at Tremec is right. They put out a notice a while back about this. The new 3650 transmission has built in stops unlike the earlier versions. Sorry, I didn't keep the link, but setting the stops with a 3650 transmission could actually damage the forks. Its got something to do with the transmission not fully engaging. In any event, since the 3650 already has built in stops, there's no need to set them on an aftermarket shifter. I had already set my stops, but when I read their notice, I just backed them out.

If you set the stops correctly there is no way it can hurt. think about this from a logical standpoint. A correctly set stop is going to give you full throw.

Now you may not need stops on the new 3650's but there is not way if they are set correctly it can hurt anything.

I don't think you should be installing a shifer if you don't know how to tell whether it is in gear or not. It is pretty much comon sense that if you set your stops wrong it is not good even on a tranny that does not have its own interal stops.

I would bet lots of money they put out the notice because people were setting the stops incorectly and since you don't "suposedly" need them why bother.

Yeah a lot of us already know the 3650 come with internal stops, but I mean come on, they also said nothing is wrong with the tranny lol. As everyone has said above, correctly setting the stops will do no harm to your shifting. What the are worried about is the stops coming loose and causing you to miss a shift or worse. Take them out if you want, but mine are set and good to go :nice:

A little extra protection isnt going to hurt anything.

jrc_03_gt said:

OLD NEWS All Tremecs have built in stops

jrc_03_gt said:
If I remove the stops on a pro 5.0 will my throws be shorter than my stock shifter?

the stops have nothing to do with the throw. the thow of a shifter is all "geometric". basically mathmatical. the shifter has a piviot point, handle length, etc. the stop just prevents you from shifting past the gear basically.