PI head swap vs NPI cam swap

Hey guys,

I was wanting some insight on what I should do with my 98 GT 5 speed. I have a set of PI heads and cams that I got for free when I bought my longtubes. I know that if I swap my heads then the compression will bump up causing me to run atleast 91 octane. This worries me a little bit incase I cant get ahold of 91 octane. I was wondering if I should just sell my complete PI heads for 300-400 bucks and put them towards a set of MHS cams for my NPI heads. What would make more power?

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

AZmustang98:

I have NPI heads, Comp Cams (Nick didn't make cams when I bought mine), and a PI intake. I have no idea how much power the engine makes now compared to the old engine but the seat-of-the-pants difference is huge. My GT is a garage queen (I just like to tinker, I guess) and she's never has been to the track. I'm not looking for huge power. I am quite delighted with the power level I have now although I sometimes think about adding TrickFlow heads. :D

You can search here and on other forums but here is a summary of NPI to PI improvements: PI intake = 30 hp, PI cams = 15 hp, and PI heads = 10 hp. Now, if you port the PI heads then the power improvmeent is significantly increased. Swap the PI cams for aftermarket cams and power improves significantly. It's only money, lol. So, you need to set some goals for your car and then you will know what you have to do.

HTH,

Chris

I have a pi swaped 95 tbird 10.1 compersion with a tune for 93 oct. If i want to run 87 i just pull a plug under the hood that pulls two degrees of timing and it runs fine and pulls hard. So if you get the right tune you can run the PI heads and cams with 87. I wouldn't stick to the npi.