Pi swapped f150 progress/discussion

Hi, I’m new to the forum so let me introduce my f150. Please don’t throw to much shade as everything under the hood I promise is all mustang.

2006 Ford F-150 Oxford white
Fibreglass cowl hood
2019 f150 wheels

I am currently attempting the infamous pi swap and just wanted to track my progress here in case it could help out any of the modular mustang guys.

Block is out of a low mileage, totaled 1998 mustang gt.

Heads are the performance improved heads that initially came with the truck with a little polishing done to help with flow due to factory casting defects.

I made the cold air intake myself I just sanded and painted ( you will see a pattern with this)

Flowtech shorty headers

K&n filter

Modular head shop stage 2 n/a pi cams

Diablosport trinity tuner

From everything that I have read it would be a first for an f150 to get a pi swap but I didn’t want to stop there. With that extra flow in the headers I couldn’t help but help her breather even better with the intake and headers. I am currently lapping valves and and installing new valve seals as well. So hopefully assembly of the heads will begin in the morning.

So far the only thing I’ve swapped was my oil filter locator and my oil pan. New tensioners, timing chains and guides will accompany the new cam on this journey as well. I feel like all of these are wear parts that should be replaced during a rebuild no matter what. So even though everything is immaculate on the inside I would still like to ensure a perfect seal or all that extra compression from the pi swap would possibly leak my valves.

To check valve guides I flipped the heads right side up and slid the married valves in the according guide and checked for any types of movement that was not the one dimensional up and down movement that was intended.

I will post more as I continue this pi swap journey in my f150 and if there are any types of pi swap questions I can answer for anyone along the way I will be more than glad to share my experiences.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

03E636B2-3D23-446B-94FB-7A805333E266.jpeg
E970D1B4-3E52-4B5D-8E80-F940DB86E7F1.jpeg

Attachments

• ED5887B3-9587-406A-A49A-FCA2F8E577C7.jpeg
    ED5887B3-9587-406A-A49A-FCA2F8E577C7.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 56
  • E9972722-982F-43E5-83B4-EB336288CCB2.jpeg
    E9972722-982F-43E5-83B4-EB336288CCB2.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20AA837D-4427-4215-8FFF-61C9F28452A3.jpeg
    20AA837D-4427-4215-8FFF-61C9F28452A3.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 5740426B-A0AA-46A8-A825-8C1F3F9E2532.jpeg
    5740426B-A0AA-46A8-A825-8C1F3F9E2532.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 52
With the smaller dishing of the non pi pistons and the smaller combustion chamber of the pi heads that have been slightly polished it should increase the compression. Combined with the modular head shop cam and everything else I am doing I am curious if anyone has done any runs in their mustangs that might could throw some hopeful up/tq numbers my way.

Update: there is an extra engine coolant temperature sensor in the valley of the block that I will have to find a way to mount. Other than a little work on the headers due to clearance issues the heads sat down flawlessly on my 98 mustang gt block. I sat the intake on and sat the valve covers on just to check it out but I am still waiting on my modular head shop cams to arrive. I was able to manually lap all of the valves and re assemble the valve springs and lifters into the heads.

new guy here
thanks for your post
i'm gonna due a pi swap on my 98 expedition
i have a coolant leak (i think it is my intake gasket since i can't see it and my oi/coolant aren't mixing)
so i have to pull most stuff off except the heads
might as well do the pi swap while i'm there
what inake are you using

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. So after there being no interest at first I’m not gonna lie I quit posting because I didn’t figure anyone was interested. The motor is in the truck and I’ve got around 1000 miles on it. I’m running the f150 intake because it’s better for a flatter torque curve according to my research.

But if your doing it on your expedition I believe you have a cable throttle body and the throttle body on the f150 is electronic. So if the expedition throttle body will sit on an f150 upper plenum I would go that route.
AA7D6DE0-DA60-4895-B3F0-CFA2949C9FE7.jpeg
880F61A2-ABD9-49E5-9C80-625254A6901E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
But if your doing it on your expedition I believe you have a cable throttle body and the throttle body on the f150 is electronic. So if the expedition throttle body will sit on an f150 upper plenum I would go that route.
AA7D6DE0-DA60-4895-B3F0-CFA2949C9FE7.jpeg
880F61A2-ABD9-49E5-9C80-625254A6901E.jpeg
mine is a 98 expedition so i have the cable throttle body
i was gonna get my pi heads/intake from a stang gt
but my research has me leaning toward heads/intake from a navigator
i was gonna go with the same headers you have but i'm gonna start with flipping my manifolds backwards and installing a low buck turbo
basically i'm gonna build a ford thunder
you know i'm going to name it Blue Thunder
i intro'ed myself in the welcome wagon thread
check it out

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&
ved=2ahUKEwiohczsw_74AhVtpokEHZm1CyMQFnoECEUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.musclecarsandtrucks.com%2Fford-expedition-thunder-performance-suv-f-150-lightning-video%2F&usg=AOvVaw0B5DxQcGebftq3j_1ralGo

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=Ma3vLsadGnE&usg=AOvVaw3Y66F2oVCkHdw1-A89yzNY

I watched a video of a guy running different intakes on the modular block and your right the pi intake lacks the lower end torque. I kept the f150 intake because the lower plenum is built with a divider that helps maintain a flatter torque curve. As far as turbo it’s out of my realm of knowledge at this moment but I will post a pic as soon as I get up and going and get my girls going and post it. Richard holdner is the guys name on YouTube I believe that is hella in touch with the modular engines. Especially the 2v 4.6. I think that if you made a thunder clone that would be badass.

Also I did have to take about 1/4” out of one of the header flanges where it meets the mid pipe to clear the block and also had to TIG a cap on the EGR port because a plug sat to high to thread in and clear the block as well. I got rid of the EGR system.

Hey guys. So after there being no interest at first I’m not gonna lie I quit posting because I didn’t figure anyone was interested. The motor is in the truck and I’ve got around 1000 miles on it. I’m running the f150 intake because it’s better for a flatter torque curve according to my research.
Not knowing enough to post does not mean that others are not learning.
Any power increase numbers or subjective feel description?

I watched a video of a guy running different intakes on the modular block and your right the pi intake lacks the lower end torque. I kept the f150 intake because the lower plenum is built with a divider that helps maintain a flatter torque curve. As far as turbo it’s out of my realm of knowledge at this moment but I will post a pic as soon as I get up and going and get my girls going and post it. Richard holdner is the guys name on YouTube I believe that is hella in touch with the modular engines. Especially the 2v 4.6. I think that if you made a thunder clone that would be badass.
i 'm real familiar with Holdener,i'm subscribed to his channel
he's the reason i asked about your intake,i saw his vid on modular intakes and the non-pi truck intake had better low end torque and not too much difference in power output. i've been considering using excursion heads and was thinking about the snagging the intake also,that way i know it will fit the heads. as to the turbos you should watch R.Holdener's vids on turbos,espescially the diy ones,he has one about using your stock manifolds and another about using a junkyard y pipe to make you crossover and turbo mount on a single turbo install. that got me to thinking about gettng a tuner so i don't have to keep running to a shop everytime i make a mod. that led me to thinking i might need a pcm
to allow me to get the tuner i want
any thoughts anyone?