Pilot Bearing Removal

Black1987

my wife Bedazzled my input shaft
15 Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC
I know pilot bearing removal has been discussed 1000x times.

However, typically I use the rent a tools from parts stores, but the slide hammer puller were out.

So I tried the U puller and no luck as it started to walk/flex.

A059DC81-C91B-49FD-8D5F-A835C3D42F08.jpeg
5687DC11-A093-42DF-8F44-1C07118C2BEA.jpeg
C0C14161-48E0-49CB-99D2-F1DC1ADB948F.jpeg

To save time for others.

This worked for me.

Three pieces of bread,
3/8 drive 7/16 chrome socket
(packed inside with bread)
3/8 an extension
hammer.

• Sponsors (?)

However, typically I use the rent a tools from parts stores, but the slide hammer puller were out.

A059DC81-C91B-49FD-8D5F-A835C3D42F08.jpeg
5687DC11-A093-42DF-8F44-1C07118C2BEA.jpeg
C0C14161-48E0-49CB-99D2-F1DC1ADB948F.jpeg

To save time for others.

This worked for me.

Three pieces of bread,
3/8 drive 7/16 chrome socket
(packed inside with bread)
3/8 an extension
hammer.

what kind of bread was it?
Please tell me it wasn’t pumpernickel….for the love of god,…Not pumpernickel.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I used some potatoe bread last time I did it. (Hamburger roll if I remember correctly..... or was it a hot dog roll?)........ potatoe roll for sure :)

Reactions: 2 users
I have actually used pizza. Yes, Pizza. Here is what I did. Ordered a large pepperoni and olive pizza from dominos. It was hand tossed, extra cheese. I told my friend "let me know when you get the pilot bearing out....the Pizza is here". He had that thing out in two minutes. Worked great.

• Drool
  • Haha
I have actually used pizza. Yes, Pizza. Here is what I did. Ordered a large pepperoni and olive pizza from dominos. It was hand tossed, extra cheese. I told my friend "let me know when you get the pilot bearing out....the Pizza is here". He had that thing out in two minutes. Worked great.
What? No beer?

I have a puller just like that. It's actually a lot better than a slide hammer, because it doesn't beat on the engine thrust bearing. Not that hammering the new bearing in is a picnic for it either. Probably pulled 30 bearings with it. It helps to put the flywheel bolts in and rest it on that. It also has a tendancy to to pull the bearing out in two pieces. Still faster and less messy than bread though.

Kurt

• Agree
I actually didn’t think it was going to work. I was planning on running out to rent a puller but was bored so I tried it for :poo:s and grins.

I was impressed it came right out. 1 slice. Wheat. Fed it to some wild turkeys after.

Reactions: 1 user