Pilot Bearing Will Not Come Out

greencody433

Dec 25, 2020
USA
So I am on leave for Christmas currently and have to return to base by the 4th. I figured it would be a great time to change my throw out bearing and clutch since the bearing was making a lot the infamous squeaking noise. I got everything apart and out all the way down to the pilot bearing. I had purchased a pilot bearing puller from autozone and tried it at first. This just stripped the guts out of the bearing and left the race inside. I have tried wet paper towels, paper towels + grease, and just grease to push out the bearing using hydraulic pressure. None of these worked one bit and I'm becoming overwhelmingly stressed. I've even tried using a chisel to break the race and hope it would come out but no luck. I'm thinking about getting a dremel tool tomorrow and trying that out. Just pretty desperate for help seeing as I absolutely have to be done within a few days. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I've used the AutoZone tool and it came out in to steps.First the innards came out then I pulled the outer part. Try using the tool on the outer part to get it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I ended up getting everything out and replaced. I gouged my crankshaft a little bit near the top where the pilot bearing goes in but the new one say flush and everything appears to be in order. Will I need to get a new crank?

Guess you have it solved now, but I thought I'd share a nice tool I used. Not a pilot bearing, but I had good luck removing a similar bearing from a wheel on my son's Razor electric dirt bike with the a Harbor Freight Three-Jaw Pilot Bearing Puller for $20. I started with a rental gear puller from Advance, but could get it to bite. They didn't have the clutch pilot bearing puller for rent, so I had to try elsewhere. Once I got it aligned right, the HF tool grabbed nicely and just pulled it out without much fuss.