Planning a 5 speed swap. anything special to look for?

Do the clutch quadrant upgrade before you install the peddles.. I've used steeda's double hook in about seven cars with great results. One hook is used for stock non adjustable type cables while the other hook is for the longer sn style like mm or bbk, steeda, etc junk adjustable style

Moving the speedo cable to the other opening isn't hard, you just have to pull the cluster which is simple and get under the dash and feed it thru. I've done the manual swap in about a day before, used second day to install the shifter, center console back into the car and adjust the clutch feel. Key to it was doing the research and having everything you need on hand part wise

Autos have a smaller opening in the trans tunnel so you'll need to cut it larger to fit the shifter base of the trans in. You'll want to prepare with whatever primer/paint etc you are going to want to use to cover the bare sheet metal edges once your finished opening the hole up. Also the correct way to do it would be to get a trans hump from lmr or cut out of another car and bolt that in but i've done them without and it isn't a big deal and is a shortcut you could deal with at later time if time is a factor.

• Sponsors (?)

I did mine on standard size jackstands.

Highly recommend buying/renting a trans Jack for removing the AOD. It’s a heavy SOB

I still have the scar on my hand from the 5 stitches I needed when I did my AOD to 5-spd swap

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
That AOD is a heavy transmission. Especially, on your back.

Those tire cribs are really nice to have if you have a jack that'll get the car high enough. I've done all my work under kick stands. I put the front ones under the bushings of the front control arms at the k member. They sit nice in the round part of the stand top. Having cribs under the wheels will give you more space to position yourself under the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. Anyone care to double check my list?

Currently have.

New tkx
Bell housing
Driveshaft yoke
Ford racing throw out bearing
Ford racing pilot bearing
Flywheel and clutch
Manual pedal set
MM clutch cable , quadrant , and adjuster
New clutch fork
New fork ball
New engine plate
Shifter
Boot
Shift ball
A9l ecu
Manual wire harness
Trans tunnel hump
Trans mount
Shifter bezel
Exhaust hanger
Lower boot
New clutch

I have both a manual and auto crossmembers but will probably get the stifflers.

I think that’s what I got so far. Did I miss anything?

I did mine on standard size jackstands.

Highly recommend buying/renting a trans Jack for removing the AOD. It’s a heavy SOB

I still have the scar on my hand from the 5 stitches I needed when I did my AOD to 5-spd swap
X2, I have a trans jack as it sure makes things a helluva lot easier.

Found an a9L local for a good price. I figure the trans and bell are the only other hard to get items. Looking like i'll be doing it this fall or winter.
One thing I would suggest is opening the ecu and inspecting the board and capacitors. the last few factory sealed ecus I've opened at least one of the three caps where leaking, there just at the end of life cycle at 30 plus years old, even a blue streak reman. had Old oem caps still on the board . Easy and cheap to replace them before they cause damage, rebuilds run about 120 with shipping if your not comfortable doing it yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users