Please don't Judge

WORTH

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Cape Cod, Ma.
Gentlemen, I'm old but not senile yet, I bought a new toy that has little to no support on the internet, and since it's almost a Mustang I thought I'd come here for help. I bought a '65 E100 with a 170 and a 3 on the tree. I'm not used to having no power, and my normal solution is generally throw a big block at it, however I thought I'd play with this one a bit. I happen to have a rebuilt 200 that I was going to drop in it with a few minor mods, and I was looking for a better transmission than the 3 speed and came up with the RUD. It has a lower first gear than the 3 speed as well as a much needed OD for this poor little 6. Does anyone happen to have a RUD they are not using that I might purchase preferably in New England?? Doesn't it kinda look like a Stang??

Attachments

• IMG_20220319_111704576.jpg
    IMG_20220319_111704576.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I am not familiar with the RUD....but if its like the SMOD and SROD(3 speed + overdrive) they aren't any stronger than the 3 speed. You would be better served running the T5...you can get them cheaply from later Mustang v6s...just be aware the input shaft is about 3/4" longer for the v6 version if I remember correctly(might be 5/8") which means you need to add a spacer place between the bellhousing and the trans to make up for the extra length(T5s are easy to make a spacer plate for as long as you have a set of transfer punches and the correct size hole saw and some aluminum plate to work with). Your biggest hurdle would be the shifter setup, you would need to do something like this:

20160317_170003-jpg.jpg

I am not familiar with the RUD....but if its like the SMOD and SROD(3 speed + overdrive) they aren't any stronger than the 3 speed. You would be better served running the T5...you can get them cheaply from later Mustang v6s...just be aware the input shaft is about 3/4" longer for the v6 version if I remember correctly(might be 5/8") which means you need to add a spacer place between the bellhousing and the trans to make up for the extra length(T5s are easy to make a spacer plate for as long as you have a set of transfer punches and the correct size hole saw and some aluminum plate to work with). Your biggest hurdle would be the shifter setup, you would need to do something like this:

20160317_170003-jpg.jpg
That shifter is not an option, the engine is behind the seat, I need to go with a remote shifter and I wanted to keep the column shifter anyway.

IIRC the Econolines use the better 3.03 3spd. Your 200 will never make enough power to hurt it. I'd bolt the 200 up and run it. I had a 66 that I put a Cleveland in and it was a handful. Kept the colum shifted 3spd it was born with. Never had any problems with the tranny and I flogged it all the time.

Those old transmissions are all most likely crushed by now
Use what you can find
The truck is cool enough you can do what the hell you want and come out okay
I liked your first thought (throw a big block at it)
However there is starting to be eco boost 2.3 plants around from wrecked new fords and I would do that for weight savings
Keep all the old stuff and do not modify the frame
Newer design straight axle and rack and pinion

Sent you a PM.
If you think your 170 is bad, we had one of those with the original 144.
My father had a 60 falcon with the 144, it was the car I learned to drive standard on. And it had the same dead spot in the 3 speed this E-Pup has. there is too long a gap between 2nd and 3rd. Even with the 170, it has ample power in 1st and 2nd, then falls flat on it's face in 3rd.

9 or 10" electric motor, 240 volt DC? Direct drive of course. There is plenty of room for 24 batteries on the pickup floor board. :cool:
Go wash your mouth out with soap young man.
IIRC the Econolines use the better 3.03 3spd. Your 200 will never make enough power to hurt it. I'd bolt the 200 up and run it. I had a 66 that I put a Cleveland in and it was a handful. Kept the colum shifted 3spd it was born with. Never had any problems with the tranny and I flogged it all the time.
I wasn't worried about hurting the trans, it just need more gears.

Go wash your mouth out with soap young man.

I wasn't worried about hurting the trans, it just need more gears.
Have you figured out how to put 5 on the tree for a T-5? :D I agree the extra gear from even an SROD would help modernize an Econoline. But with the engine on the middle, front seat location, a modern trans’ shifter is going to be awkward at the best.

Is the RUD compatible with a column shifter?
Would a Windsor 302/347 fit under the stock doghouse? How about a 300 with an OD auto? Mounting the big truck straight six might be easier than the shifter issues.

Gentlemen, I'm old but not senile yet, I bought a new toy that has little to no support on the internet, and since it's almost a Mustang I thought I'd come here for help. I bought a '65 E100 with a 170 and a 3 on the tree. I'm not used to having no power, and my normal solution is generally throw a big block at it, however I thought I'd play with this one a bit. I happen to have a rebuilt 200 that I was going to drop in it with a few minor mods, and I was looking for a better transmission than the 3 speed and came up with the RUD. It has a lower first gear than the 3 speed as well as a much needed OD for this poor little 6. Does anyone happen to have a RUD they are not using that I might purchase preferably in New England?? Doesn't it kinda look like a Stang??
It looks like a wheel stander

Somebody in this thread is senile... :O_o:

This has no business in the Classic Mustang Specific Tech forum.

Moving this to Other Auto. This thread has been judged. :parg:

The bonus is that now you can change the title to something meaningful :)

Somebody in this thread is senile... :O_o:

This has no business in the Classic Mustang Specific Tech forum.

Moving this to Other Auto. This thread has been judged. :parg:

The bonus is that now you can change the title to something meaningful :)
Not that is pointed at me :cautious:
I usually let something like this gain a few 'followers ' then move it so the conversation will continue,
justification for my senility.