Please Help! I Can't Get Car Running

James baum

Jul 8, 2017
hey guys I recently bought a parts car that is a 2002 mustang. It has 4.6 auto in it with 64k on it. The car was hit in front pass side. The maf sensor is missing along with the exhaust and cats. I'd like to try and fire the car up. I hooked up the battery and tried to fire it up and it just cranks over. If I give it a small shot of ether it will try to fire on the ether. Also I know I have fuel pressure to the fuel rails. Now i was reading up on the theft system on these cars and I am not sure if the key in the ignition is a good coded key or not. The key was in the ignition whenever I bought the car. One thing I did notice was I cannot get the key out of the ignition. It will turn on and crank over and go into the off position but cannot pull the key out of the colum. What do you guys reccomend I check?

• Sponsors (?)

The motor won't start likely because the MAF is missing and/or the intake tube is not connected or leaking.

Yes the 2002 Model year Mustang has Ford Factory anti-theft (PATS).

Likely you can't get the key out of the ignition because of the shift interlock safety. That is the system that won't let you take the key out unless the transmission is in park or neutral. The system needs input from the brake pedal position switch as well as the transmission range sensor (DTR). Suggest starting by checking all fuses.

Here's a crank with no start check list with more information.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html#2984838