please help me figure out my mystery problem, vid inside.

need a fast car

Jan 1, 2003
I will be driving normally and the car will just fall flat and the check engine light will come on. It will still putter like it wants to run, but it is trying to die at the same time (like its not getting fuel). once it does this I can leave the car running at idle and it still putters, then it will die. (if I give it gas it will stay fired up a little longer). I will start it up again does the same thing about 5-6 times then it will try to crank but wont start unless i wait for at least half an hour. its strange because this car has done this at least 6 times to me. everytime it has happend I have had it towed to the ford house and they can never find a problem with it. its like the day after it messes up it will work just fine, not throughing any codes at all. this last time I just waited about 5 hours then it strarted right up and i drove the snot out of it for 15 minutes. seems like a short or an elcetrical problem. I can never replicate the problem so I took a Video of it, inside my car so you can here the noise it makes. I was not trying to start the car just the aux. it seems like it only does it when its hott outside, but i had driven it all last summer and it didn't do it once. the car never reads hott either. batt and alt we replaced with in the last 9 months. PLEASE help me

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/Juicepilly15/?action=view&current=ForSale024.flv

• Sponsors (?)

dunno? the hot start issues etc. shutting down when warm sounds like an Igntion Module, but the sound it is making when you turn the key is odd. Does it sound like it is coming from the front of the car or the rear? has to be something that comes on while the engine is in ACC, such as the fuel pump, a/c blower something like that???

odd noise..

jason

I had a very similar problem with my 94 GT a few months ago, it was the ignition control module like mytight95 said, and two ford dealerships here couldn't figure out wtf was wrong with it. I'd have them check it out. Not too bad of a fix, I had them do it b/c I was lazy and it was like $165 parts and labor.

jstang94gt said:
I had a very similar problem with my 94 GT a few months ago, it was the ignition control module like mytight95 said, and two ford dealerships here couldn't figure out wtf was wrong with it. I'd have them check it out. Not too bad of a fix, I had them do it b/c I was lazy and it was like $165 parts and labor.
what was different from my car and yours? also where is that located. Thanks

jstang94gt said:
:eek: wow i paid $50 for mine and took 10 mins to install

I couldn't hear much on the video but from what I saw your voltmeter was going crazy. Maybe you could check all the electrical connections everywhere and make sure you don't have any grounds.

I had the same problem, my car would turn off randomly and not turn back on. It would turn off while driving on the highway and also while idling. I spend about 1200 dollars trying to fix it, it turned out that it was just a broken engine ground. Please check all of your engine grounds and recheck them, that problem pissed me off so much that I almost sold my car. It ended up being a 5 dollar fix that i spend 1200 dollars trying to find.

renegade331 said:
I had the same problem, my car would turn off randomly and not turn back on. It would turn off while driving on the highway and also while idling. I spend about 1200 dollars trying to fix it, it turned out that it was just a broken engine ground. Please check all of your engine grounds and recheck them, that problem pissed me off so much that I almost sold my car. It ended up being a 5 dollar fix that i spend 1200 dollars trying to find.
i'm at that point right now. where are all the grounds i need to check for? Thanks alot

renegade331 said:
also was your volts gauge going nuts too?

My tack gauge would jump all over the place on occasion, then the car would run fine for a while. I dont remember anything funky happening with the voltage, but i am sure that was effected too. I wish I could tell you where to check specifically, but there are so many grounds. Chances are that a wire broke off the ground connection. I would spend like 15 min in a garage with a flashlight just looking at all the wires and making sure that everything is in order. I wish I could tell you more and really wish you luck. If I can dig up a wireing diagram i will send it your way.

there should be one on the drivers side, connects chassis to timing cover, there should also be one on the passenger side that connects from chassis to the motor mount, and there are miscellaneous ones on the radiator support for the headlights and abs etc...

good luck

jason