Pleez help with clutch problem

UNVMATT

Jan 15, 2004
COLUMBUS
Ok. Here is my problem.
2000 GT
Stock clutch lasted until 78K miles. At 78K the pedal all the way out to get the car to move. So I had the flywheel turned and a SPEC stage 1 installed. 10K miles later the same problem was happening with the SPEC..Slipping badly, and pedal had to be all the way out to get the car to move. So at 90K I had a FRPP King Cobra installed. Lasted about another 6K and it started doing the same thing.. So, in order to cure all ailments, I had a Centerforce Dual Friction installed, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, new clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant.. 5K miles on it now, and the same problem is occuring again.....I turn the firewall adjuster all the way clockwise and it made it better for awhile, but it seems to need to go farther.

Also, my clutch pedal feels loose (can move from side-side), and the pedal doesnt want to release as fast as it once did.

Can anyone help me? Do I need to change the whole pedal assembly, is the clutch fork messed up? Or????

• Sponsors (?)

Hiltonizer said:
your clear tail lights are messing it up
:rlaugh:

It sounds like you just need to crawl under the dash and check out why the pedal is hanging... I wouldn't have replaced the clutch and flywheel so many times without knowing why the first couple went out so quickly... and when you had the clutch cable replaced did you have it replaced with OEM Ford or aftermarket? Cause if that cable is aftermarket, you can plan on replacing that later too. No cable is as strong as the factory Ford Clutch cable... just FYI to keep you from more of this kind of trouble down the road.

UNVMATT said:
Ok. Here is my problem.
2000 GT
Stock clutch lasted until 78K miles. At 78K the pedal all the way out to get the car to move. So I had the flywheel turned and a SPEC stage 1 installed. 10K miles later the same problem was happening with the SPEC..Slipping badly, and pedal had to be all the way out to get the car to move. So at 90K I had a FRPP King Cobra installed. Lasted about another 6K and it started doing the same thing.. So, in order to cure all ailments, I had a Centerforce Dual Friction installed, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, new clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant.. 5K miles on it now, and the same problem is occuring again.....I turn the firewall adjuster all the way clockwise and it made it better for awhile, but it seems to need to go farther.

Also, my clutch pedal feels loose (can move from side-side), and the pedal doesnt want to release as fast as it once did.

Can anyone help me? Do I need to change the whole pedal assembly, is the clutch fork messed up? Or????

how often did you have too adjust the fire wall adjuster. when the clutch was first installed and the pedal was good.. how often did you have too readjust it? did you ever smell the clutch burning?

well the only thing i could think of that could wreck clutches that fast is oil contamination. a lot of the 4.6's leak oil from the passenger side cylinder head and when this happens it goes right onto the clutch.

I replaced the cable with a Ford cable.
I replaced the first couple of clutches because people on here told "spec sucks, get a FRPP King Cobra". So, thats what I did. Now people tell me they have had problems with the King Cobra, and a Centerforce DF was better. So, I got the DF and changed the other stuff too.

The SPEC always had a funny smell every time I let it out..Kind of a burning smell..I didnt run any of the clutches hard either.

When the King Cobra was changed, the mechanic told me the pressure plate was burnt.

Should I start with replacing/fixing the pedal?

3 different reputable shops have installed the clutches..I told the last couple about the wear problem..But they keep telling me that everything else is OK..But they never say anything about the pedal.