Engine Polly locks

JungleJoe

I was like well chit..Im missing something
Jul 25, 2011
Mo.
Hey guys.. 302, twisted wedge heads, 1.6 roller rockers...
I've got a situation here.. the polly locks keep coming loose.
Here is how I adjusted the them.

Get zero lash, go 3/4 turn(my cam specs says do that) then lock the Allen head down.
Idle time ONLY they are coming loose. When I say loose... the allen locking nut is backing off.
What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 20201008_161211.jpg
    20201008_161211.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey guys.. 302, twisted wedge heads, 1.6 roller rockers...
I've got a situation here.. the polly locks keep coming loose.
Here is how I adjusted the them.

Get zero lash, go 3/4 turn(my cam specs says do that) then lock the Allen head down.
Idle time ONLY they are coming loose. When I say loose... the allen locking nut is backing off.
What am I doing wrong?
your cam is going flat.
And..
Polly is a Parrot.
It’s “ Poly”.

is your cam a roller, or a flat tappet hydraulic roller?
And,..one of two things..

1. You aren’t getting the set screw tight enough.
2. Your brand new cam is failing. ( That’s usually when they fail)
Hydraulic roller. Ive reset it twice now. Only idle time. After I set the valves and lock the poly locks down.. I started it to make sure everything is doing whats its suppose to, the valves appear to be opening the same.
Going to take it apart today and inspect them and try a different method.
Set zero lash.. go my 3/4 turn on the lock screws on the studs, back off about a 1/16th set the poly lock.. then turn both thw poly lock and locking screw back thw 1/16th. May even put some loctite orange on them. Seems to be only two coming loose..ill see when I pull the valve cover off later today.

Hydraulic roller. Ive reset it twice now. Only idle time. After I set the valves and lock the poly locks down.. I started it to make sure everything is doing whats its suppose to, the valves appear to be opening the same.
Going to take it apart today and inspect them and try a different method.
Set zero lash.. go my 3/4 turn on the lock screws on the studs, back off about a 1/16th set the poly lock.. then turn both thw poly lock and locking screw back thw 1/16th. May even put some loctite orange on them. Seems to be only two coming loose..ill see when I pull the valve cover off later today.
Curious why you're doing all that extra work. I set to zero, 1/2 turn,then with wrench on poly I crank down on the allen screw. A little tread sealer wouldn't hurt but they shouldn't back out.

Reactions: 1 user
Curious why you're doing all that extra work. I set to zero, 1/2 turn,then with wrench on poly I crank down on the allen screw. A little tread sealer wouldn't hurt but they shouldn't back out.
Well..the reason I'm having to do this again..They rockers came loose. I assume I didn't get the set screw tight..or something. Not sure. But this time around.. im backing the adjuster nut off a 1/16th or more, setting the allen head set screw, then tightening both of them together that extra 1/16th. Feels pretty damn tight this time around

I went through all the valves yesterday and adjusting them the new method. Fired it up seems to be working.
Only one on the driverside was loose. But I did the passenger side also. Fired it up whisper quiet. At least in the front of the truck.

Reactions: 2 users