Poly Front Leaf Spring Bushings

I installed the front poly bushings from a kit just like this one on my 65.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1050&cat=2132&page=1

The problem is that the bushings are too wide to fit where the leaf spring attaches to the car. The springs are Grab-A-Trak 4 1/2 leaf springs. Has anyone else had this problem? If I have to trim off a little of the width and hammer it in, how tight is too tight? If I really have to hammer it home will this cause binding and problems?

• Sponsors (?)

I Had the same problem and utilized the same solution a 5 lb sledge and some lube.I think they desinged it to have a tight fit to prevent unwanted deflection...I.M.H.O. But yeah it's crazy tight.......

Mine weren't that difficult on my '67 to get in but I lubed the heck out of them with dielectric grease to avoid squeeks (none in 6+mos. of driving) but mine were Energy brand. As far as I could tell and find by research it's the same grease that comes in the little squeeze tubes that comes with the bushings, they just don't give you enough. I picked up a big tube at the parts store.
Jon

I removed the metal ring on the inside of the leaf srping eye. I removed it with the flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

Again, DONT BE SHY ON USING LOTS OF GREASE! The small amount that come in the kit isnt enough. i learned the hard way lol

GOODLUCK!!!

I just took the rear end and springs out of my 67 fastback and I noticed the front pearches are tight.I will have to bend the outer tab out of the way to get the new bushings and springs to fit...Has anyone cut that tab and relocated to get an easier fit?Does anyone have a pic of there install of poly bushings?....