Poor CL behavior, WOT = OK, help ???

Problem Solved

8+ months back I replaced the stock TB and upper plenum with a combination from C&L. Pretty much a plug and play "WITHOUT" resetting KAM by disconnecting the battery.

I just reinstalled the original TB/plenum, flushed the KAM, built the KAM and now the car is working properly again. Very refreshing to say the lease.

I can only suspect that over time the KAM settings being captured by the PCM and C&L combo may have resulted in bad data for the PCM. I don't feel particularly confident about this hypothesis yet as I would have expected the PCM to adapt to this slight improvement in air flow and take LAMBSEs & HEGO into consideration when calculating injector pulse width.

I ordered an SCT flash device yesterday. Once I come up to speed on it's functionality, I'll reinstall the C&L setup and will tune accordingly.

MANY MANY thanks again to all who participated in this thread. Without this forum, this problem resolution would have taken much longer

Sincerely,

Darryl

• Sponsors (?)

8+ months back I replaced the stock TB and upper plenum with a combination from C&L. Pretty much a plug and play "WITHOUT" resetting KAM by disconnecting the battery.

I just reinstalled the original TB/plenum, flushed the KAM, built the KAM and now the car is working properly again. Very refreshing to say the lease.

I can only suspect that over time the KAM settings being captured by the PCM and C&L combo may have resulted in bad data for the PCM. I don't feel particularly confident about this hypothesis yet as I would have expected the PCM to adapt to this slight improvement in air flow and take LAMBSEs & HEGO into consideration when calculating injector pulse width.

I ordered an SCT flash device yesterday. Once I come up to speed on it's functionality, I'll reinstall the C&L setup and will tune accordingly.

MANY MANY thanks again to all who participated in this thread. Without this forum, this problem resolution would have taken much longer

Sincerely,

Darryl
That is in no way how the ECU works. After 3 run cycles the ECU would have relearned the settings after changes.

What all did you swap (TB, Plenum, IAC, TPS,)?

Only the TB & Upper plenum were replaced 8 months back.

When the problem originally began to surface, I replaced plugs, COPs, and cleaned the air filter, MAF meter, and TB. Then I replaced the TPS. None of these relatively cheap solutions fixed the problem.

Then I purged the KAM...and the problem was more pronounced.

It's that simple...

Then I reinstalled the original TB & plunum, took the car for a 15 minute drive around town and it's like new again.

As for rebuilding KAM, how do you define a cycle ?

What is the procedure for testing for this at home - I did a search a while back and couldn't find anything other than "do a search for 'AC Ripple'" :doh:

I was getting odd behavior on the dash voltage gauge so I tested mine - it seemed to check out by the book procedure for DC but I still suspected something was wrong so I tested for AC with first a digital multimeter at both the battery and at the alternator and I was getting 30V AC. That sounded unlikely so I tested again with an analog meter in case the digital one was getting freaked out by non-sine wave AC but it also showed 30V AC which would have to be pretty much fully unrectified AC coming out of there. Then I took it to Autozone and had them test it and they confirmed a bad diode in the alternator. I didn't have any driveability problems (unless it was contributing to the poor mileage I've been having lately) but, like I said, the gauge was not showing the usual charging patterns and I'd just replaced a battery and I didn't want a bad alternator killing the new one too.

Never test with anything but a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter). Don't use an Analog. You were probably getting 0.30vAC and just reading it wrong. 0.30vAC is okay. Anything higher than 0.40vAC is too high. Hence, if it was 30vAC you are looking at major computer screw ups...!

Gotcha... now I understand what you're getting at and why we had a disconnect.

This link is specific to the Onboard Diagnostic behavior and this does make sense.

What I was referring to is Adaptive Learning that is typically used by an ECU/EEC/PCM computers to capture information over a period of time which is specific to how the fuel injection components work together. This is why I stuffed buzz words like LAMBSE, HEGO, etc into my message. These are specific to the fuel injection system... not OBD.

As a reminder, my engine never kicked the MIL.

Many thanks again for the link and clarification.