poor mans 5 lug swap?

• Sponsors (?)

grey5.0beast said:
Mustangsally, are you saying you would trade for ryans 3.8 4 eye? i fso ryan DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!

Yea I get this car just because I'm a fox whore. I got a 2.3 for no real reason. Its not in bad shape it just needs some love. But you have to come get it, and soon because I leave back for Iraq in 3 weeks.

mustangsally93 said:
Yea I get this car just because I'm a fox whore. I got a 2.3 for no real reason. Its not in bad shape it just needs some love. But you have to come get it, and soon because I leave back for Iraq in 3 weeks.

where are you located? and could i get some pictures?

theres also a local guy who wants to trade me his 1986 t-top mustang 5.0L
V8 hasent told me yet if its a coupe or a hatchback. and the only mod it has is gears.(he dont know ehich one's. he just said highway gears :shrug:

then all it needs is some body work and it need the front sway bar bushings replaced( he has them)

need the rear sway bar bushings replaced(he has them)

has a new clucth.

back breaks passenger side needs line replaced, and wheel cylinder
installed, (which he has)

engine runs great,
cept
for idle air control motor, i have it unhooked cause it will run at
1500 in
idle if i keep it on.. tranny shifts fine, no grinds, good clutch, no
mods
cept for coil, also has highway gear in it says past owner, so it does
good
on highway miles..

so im going to wait for some pictures and talk to my dad about it

talking to my dad is like talking to a brickrick wall :bang:

25thmustang said:
Id say save money and do it right. I did this and have 99% of the parts I need for my 5-lug conversion, which will include disc braks all around and let me run any 5-lug wheel I want!

thing is i would like to keep the drum brakes in the rear. dont have to run all the lines.

so i think no mater what i want to do to this car there is always something in my way in doing it :bang:

Seriously, ditch the drums in the rear. I would imagine you could pick up a disc to disc 8.8 axle from a 94-95 pretty cheap. As for running the lines.....what lines? All you need is a 3-2 conversion for the master cylinder, a cobra M/C, booster and soft lines in the rear with an adapter and a proportioning valve. Really simple dude! I made it so I didn't have to cut and re-flare any hard lines at all.

Just figure out what you'll need from those links I provided you and start saving money and collecting parts. You have two more years until you can legally drive so I would think with a little hard work you could pull it off in that time.

Just curious Ryan, why would you want to keep the drums in the back which are
a. out-dated
b. more difficult to service
c. just plain fugly?

It's your car so you can and will do what you want, but if you are going to do it, why not do it the right way? If you lived closer to me, I would help you do this to ensure that you did this swap correctly.

If your only reason to swap to 5 lug is to change wheels and have no braking performance upgrade, then that is you perogative. But being able to stop should be a great concern. I know a lot of people on this forum that have kept the rear drum, but in my opinion it doesn't look that great.

To quote my Mom when I was younger "Do want you want, you're going to do it anyways".

one more question.

to put in the 5 lug axels? do they just slip in? or what is all involved in taking the old axles out? while the rear end is still in the car? :shrug:

i found some 5 lug rear axles that work with a 7.5 rear.

To remove the old axles,

1. remove diff cover and drain gear oil.
2. remove the carrier pin by unscrewing the 8mm bolt and pushing the carrier pin completely out .
2. push in axles to expose the C-clips in the center of the gear carrier.
3. using needle-nose pliers pull the C-clips out
4. pull the axles straight out.

Easy.

Check the length on the new 7.5 axles and compare with your old ones. Also, seriously consider an 8.8 if you are going to do any further mods to the car. Makes buying parts much easier because there are so many more options for the 8.8 than for the 7.5