Porting stock heads?

• Sponsors (?)

ask thumper, and 90mustangtGT mise well be the poster boy for him, lets not make this a big thing like it usually turns out to be. They are pretty good if you can get them for cheap, I'm have powerheads and they have oversized valves and were CNC ported, but I got them used with 500 miles on them, but they originally cost about $600, but I got them for $350. so I guess it's how fast do you want to go?

If YOU port them yourself, then yes it is worth it. Just remember they will need a valve job and that in itself is like 150 dollars. If thats all you have to pay then yes go for it. It is not worth paying someone to port the heads when you can get gt40 or gt40p's for 300. Thats what i paid for my rebuilt P's with .550 lift springs.

Zackly... if the Ps or the 40s are out there at a good price ... they are the easy way!! But if the heads are used and old... then the cost of the heads and the cost of the valve job and the cost to surface might really boost up the price of the good deal heads...cool??

There are good results with just matching the intake ports and removing the egr bump!! then get a good performance valve job and your rocking...cool??

Just me...........................

Thumper

Wtf

bgjohnson said:
ask thumper, and 90mustangtGT mise well be the poster boy for him, lets not make this a big thing like it usually turns out to be

I agree, lets not let this one become another one of those treads!

I don't see where I promote thumper's heads anymore than any other of his customers? :shrug: :bs: I just dissagree with some people saying they give little or no gain and are complete junk as some suggest.

Having your stock heads rebuilt by a reptable machine shop and builder, valve job and all, and then counting the time and effort of porting yourself, along with supplies, and parts, the prices for powerheads and Thumper's is a pretty good deal. Plus, there is more to porting than just hollowing out ports, you need to know what you are doing, and for the price I'd rather have a pro do it.

Is all this worth going through for stock heads? That is the question. The aluminums clearly have the advantage, no doubt about it but... Are the aftermarkets actually a better deal? Well, I'll put it this way. If you are mostly stock on a budget, not really because you need other parts to feed them so the results would be similar. If you already have a good flowing induction system and a free flowing exaust, yes. Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?

I didn't mean it to be a bad thing that you were the poster boy for them, you stick up for what you believe in. and you believe in THUMPERS heads and defend him more than anybody else with his heads on there car(and again, that's a good thing). I believe in them too, I bought some heads that were stock ported with oversized valve and upgraded valve springs, so a pretty similar head. and it's kinda hard to hear the tone of sombodys voice by reading what they write so it might have sounded like I was bein a jackass but I wasn't. so I'm sorry if it sounded like I was bein a idiot, didn't mean too.

bgjohnson said:
I didn't mean it to be a bad thing that you were the poster boy for them, you stick up for what you believe in. and you believe in THUMPERS heads and defend him more than anybody else with his heads on there car(and again, that's a good thing). I believe in them too, I bought some heads that were stock ported with oversized valve and upgraded valve springs, so a pretty similar head. and it's kinda hard to hear the tone of sombodys voice by reading what they write so it might have sounded like I was bein a jackass but I wasn't. so I'm sorry if it sounded like I was bein a idiot, didn't mean too.

It's cool, I wasn't sure.

My ported heads are for sale, check my sig. below, they come with 1.6rr, new springs, valves, eveything :p :spam: :stick: :jester: .......... :D

Just letting you know thats a good price just ask anyone, need money to make my motor a 331 :nice: , and put my pro topline heads on :banana: