posi vs. limited slip

blackjackbender

Nov 9, 2004
well im regearing and want to throw something in and just want to clearify something if im going to be driving this around town and highway would it be best to get a limited slip diff such as a powertrax or a posi? I do not something that is going to ratchet around corners. when it comes to POSI i have no clue what to ever look for. Sorry about the repeart sort of topic but im trying to figure out what i need and have no clue about posi's and limited slips expect when it comes to lockers for 4x4's.

• Sponsors (?)

Lockers are locked until youy go around a corner then they unlock and ratchet (Detroit Locker) or similar (powerTrax No-slip). A posi-traction (Chevy term) or limited-slip (Ford term) are torque sensing differentials. They are basically open (only one axle engaged) until slippage is "sensed" at which point the other axle is engaged (now both are engaged). Since only one axle is typically enagaged there is no need to disengage (ratchet) when cornering. Said another way, a locker has both axles engaged unless you're cornering, and a torque sensing diff only engages both axles when there is slippage of the one axle that is engaged.

I have a TrueTrac and it seems fine, so far. No clutches and it's torque sensing. These are a favorite of corner carvers (TrueTrac or Torsen is often used). There are enough clutchless limited slips now that you needn't use a clutch/cone-based diff. I'd say PowerTrax for a car with mostly straight-line acceleration in mind and True Trac for everything else on the street.

okay sounds good. So a true trac it is.

I have a Detroit in the front of my jeep and its scary as hell driving above 20 while in 4wd. the rear locker is slectable. My dream would be to put a detroit electric locker in so I could have a limited slip and a locker when i wanted it.

so a true trac is still a locker but is alot better for street use and cornering?

thanks for the help,

Ty

edit: what about a Detroit EZ locker?