Possibility of using SN-95 front brakes on Independent Front Suspension/MII kits?

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I've searched a bit here and online about this but haven't come up with anything other than ways to use the aforementioned front brakes on a stock or stock-style suspenion. I'm really wanting to use an IFS/MII-style kit up front on my '66 for the better handling and roomier engine bay. However, it kind of irks me that pretty much all the kits out there utilize similar hub/brake designs with old-school non-sealed bearings and calipers that appear '70s vintage (on the base kits). The only options from the manufacturers of these kits for upgrading the brakes are Wilwood kits that cost a small fortune.

It bothers me that there is no middle ground. I'd much rather get a kit with more modern sealed front hubs that I don't have to worry about for a while. Using SN-95 brakes would be an added bonus since I'm very familiar with that setup.

Does anyone know of any solutions to use these brakes on the kits out there (Heidts, R&C, TCI, etc.)? I found at least one place that can fabricate custom spindles, but I shudder to think how much those might run me.

Bottom line, I want the modern IFS suspension with modern brakes. At the same time, I don't need or want a $1,400 Wilwood brake kit and definitely don't want what look like the equivalent of Granada front brakes if I'm upgrading the front suspension to that degree.

• Sponsors (?)

mustang steve has kits that allow you to run the big brakes on vintage spindles, and the brakes are all factory parts, either the SN-95 brakes or the even more modern current mustang brakes, and opentracker racing has all the suspension pieces you need to upgrade the handling of your car without replacing the suspension design and cutting up the car.

I would agree about the "cutting up" aspect if my car was in running and driving shape. Go to my progress thread in this forum to see what I'm dealing with. This car is going to have to undergo a significant amount of cutting up just to get it back into a safe and presentable condition. With that in mind, I'm wanting to take advantage of better suspension designs that can be had.

I'll figure something out to address the brakes, I'm sure.