Possible to delete the Duraspark Ignition Module?

85cobraX

Jan 12, 2003
Hi guys.

I have an 85' GT wired with the Duraspark II Ignition system with a Holley HP Annihilator box. Is it possible to re-wire and delete the Duraspark II module?

Unfortunately there is no documentation for this thing on Holley's site and now of course it is discontinued.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

:bang: Ok, one of the reason i want to do this is to isolate an ignition issue i am having right now. Basically it does not matter what RPM range the engine is at nor at what load, even idling for a random amount of time and the engine will cut out.

This happens without warning. I still have power as i can hear a steady hum from the electric fuel pump in the back. I am currently running an HP Annihilator with the Duraspark II ignition system, an MSD Blaster 2 coil, Taylor 409 race wires, stock distributor un-modified. I have a brand new wells cap and rotor and have also replaced the solonoid and also the switch in the steering column which i believe was a recall at some point in time? Battery cables are new from taylor out of their trunk mount battery kit.

I guess my 3rd question would be regarding the location i have put the Annihilator which is under the passenger seat. Is this a bad location perhaps?
Having said that i have tried touching the box right after this problem occurs and is cold to the touch.

Thank you again. Hopefully i have provided enough information for someone to answer this PITA problem. I just want to figure out at least a way to isolate it and not spend hundreds of dollars on replacement parts only to find out that the problem remains.

I suggest replacing the pickup coil assembly in the Duraspark distributor. If it starts fine cold, but cuts off in 10 to 20 mins and won't restart for 30 min or so, try this. This occasionally fails, usually when hot, either while driving, or after being shut off hot. When it cools it starts up again.

Should cost about $20. Takes 30 min to change if you are careful.

Given your symptoms this is my No 1 guess. No 2 is the Duraspark box. Also cheap. Then the actual coil. If you change the box, the pickup coil assembly, and the coil, you have changed the entire ignition. Then you gotta look elsewhere, like the ignition switch, and you have already done that.

One reason to stay Duraspark, they are easy to troubleshoot after you learn how. You can also make a tester out of an old points type condenser, some wire and a switch. I would need to read the service manual, for details, but it is in the 70' Ford Shop Manual.

Thank's for the reply RD. I will try replacing the magentic pickup assembly tonight and post the results. If you get me up and running i will be sure to buy you a beer if i am ever in Burton, SC hehe. :)