power gain with bigger MAF??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
Heya i am thinking of getting a new Mass air for my car. I am using the stock 19lb injectors and i think they work fine for what i have. I was thinking the C&L meters, so i can change the sampling tube if i decide to step up the injector size if i ever get nitrous or anything like that.

summit also have vortech meters and stuff for pretty cheap.

Would i be able to feel the difference in the power over a stock MAF?

• Sponsors (?)

I love my c&l meter, works better then the pro-m that was in the car when i bought it.

I ran a stock maf for a while and when i got the c&l 73mm I could really feel the difference, like 10hp difference.

I say go for it!

whats the whole deal with this "cold air tuning" i have heard of..

if i get a MAF without this CAI tuning to it will it run like ass?

ebay has some C&L 78 mms i think for cheap like 130$ or something... and can get it for 19lbers

You can get 3-6 MAX HP by going from a 55mm Fox MAF to a 70mm or bigger MAF.

C&L's are a joke. I've posted why many times. Ford custom tunes the electronics to a specific MAF body. They use laser trimming. Even by doing that, the MAF can be off by +/- 10%. The C&L design is a POS - period. It's a joke from a fluid dynamics point-of-view.

Put in random electronics with a poor MAF design (C&L), and it's like playing the cr*p table.

You never see C&L owners bragging about how well their MAF with their randomly chosen electronics match's the "basic Fox MAF curve".

It's ~$100 to get the MAF flow curve. It's ~$500 for Tweecer RT and it takes at lest $4K in mods to come even close to needed 24's. Yet, over 15 years, you don't see C&L owners bragging about how close their C&L flowed to "ideal".

Go with a 94/94 MAF and 70mm adapter, or spend the $$$ and get a Mass Air Systems (is that their final new name?) MAF.

If you get a C&L and it works, that's great! If you're like the many others and you have problems, then don't go crying to me. :)

Foxfan88 said:
whats the whole deal with this "cold air tuning" i have heard of..

if i get a MAF without this CAI tuning to it will it run like ass?

ebay has some C&L 78 mms i think for cheap like 130$ or something... and can get it for 19lbers
If you change *ANYTHING* between the stock silencer to the end of the exhaust pipe, you DO effect the accuracy of the MAF. Yes, even exhaust changes effect the accuracy of your MAF. It's minor, but it's there.

Now, add in an extremely inferior design like a C&L, and you're asking for problems. The "ProM's" are better, but still not as good as the OEM MAFs in design.

If someone else has taken Fluid Dynamics and has done air flow analysis professional, I'll debate the designs. Otherwise, I'll hand wave and say Fluid Dynamics is very involved (and sucks so bad, you'll wonder why you didn't take something "simple" like brain surgery. ;))

Dude, it's always great when you show up :nice:

stang&2Birds said:
You can get 3-6 MAX HP by going from a 55mm Fox MAF to a 70mm or bigger MAF.

C&L's are a joke. I've posted why many times. Ford custom tunes the electronics to a specific MAF body. They use laser trimming. Even by doing that, the MAF can be off by +/- 10%. The C&L design is a POS - period. It's a joke from a fluid dynamics point-of-view.

Can you elaborate on the design features that are so poor about the C&L?
I don't see what causes the issues.
I actually envision the production variance from the MAS being higher than that of the C&L produced components.

stang&2Birds said:
You never see C&L owners bragging about how well their MAF with their randomly chosen electronics match's the "basic Fox MAF curve".

It's ~$100 to get the MAF flow curve. It's ~$500 for Tweecer RT and it takes at lest $4K in mods to come even close to needed 24's. Yet, over 15 years, you don't see C&L owners bragging about how close their C&L flowed to "ideal".

In tuning my 73mm C&L with the tweecer I have not had to make any adjustments to the MAF Transfer.

stang&2Birds said:
Go with a 94/94 MAF and 70mm adapter, or spend the $$$ and get a Mass Air Systems (is that their final new name?) MAF.
I thought we had established in a past thread that this was a bad idea?
Didn't the percent difference between the sn95 MAF and the Fox MAF exceed the A9* Adaptive capacity? (I think we were discussing the MAF used on the 93 Cobra?)

Good to see you around again,
jason