Power Mirror Rebuild

So I ended up buying the above mirror. I figure $36 was worth a shot.

Initial impression. Not bad. The housings are shiny as hell, but it looks to be molded correctly. It just has a modern cheap plastic feel to it.

However, looks like they use the same mirror motor mounting bracket and motor setup. I'll confirm when I pull it apart. I'm basically going to take the guts out of this and put it in my existing housing.

As soon as I get a 9v battery to jog the mirror over, I'll disassemble and post pics.

I'm sure the housing is fine but I'm just very overly anal about originality and prefer to keep my housing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I pulled it apart. This mirror is pretty much identical to the oem mirror.

I was able to install the original motor support bracket in the new housing

The motor also features clip on mirror style attachments as well as the old post mounting method...so I could put the original mirror on if this one delaminates

So basically for $37 you can buy that mirror and swap it into your original housing. This comes in handy if your mirrors are painted, as mine are to match all the window trim/moldings.

The new housings aren't all that bad. Just very, very glossy.

As for the motor, it's a Chinese copy of the original. It's Very silent! Given that any replacement motor you find will likely be Chinese made, this is your best option really.

So, $37 shipped times 2...take the parts you want, or install the entire thing. Your call.

This concludes this thread

Reactions: 2 users
It's more FYI then tech.

Want to fix your mirrors? Buy a new one!

The only real tech here is the howto on removing the motor/glass assembly if you want to use your original housings for various reasons like being painted body color or matching the various other trim work

Very good write up....my passenger mirror has stripped out the gear. Smh

Glad to see I have options.

Looking back, I wish I bought the identical aftermarket mirror for the driver's side. The pass side is nice and silent, but while my driver's side works fine..it's noisy.

No more $30 mirrors on ebay. Oh well.

And yes, after that big "science project" the best solution was to just buy aftermarket mirrors. I swapped the guts but that's because I liked my original housings. Good to know that you can do that....at least with the mirror I bought.

Still have the box and housing. Perhaps I can get some info off it to search and see if it can be bought cheaply off ebay