Powermaster 140 amp alternator squealing and heat

BaLleRz68

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
I started my car after installing my 140 amp powermaster alternator and let it idle for about 25 seconds. I noticed some squealing after reving past 2000 RPMS after startup then it went away. When I turned my car off I touched my alternator it was hot. I also noticed what might have been smoke coming from the alternator but Im not sure if it was just dust (car hasnt been driving in a long time). Should I change my the pulley on the powermaster alternator to my stock on? Any thoughts are appcreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I started my car after installing my 140 amp powermaster alternator and let it idle for about 25 seconds. I noticed some squealing after reving past 2000 RPMS after startup then it went away. When I turned my car off I touched my alternator it was hot. I also noticed what might have been smoke coming from the alternator but Im not sure if it was just dust (car hasnt been driving in a long time). Should I change my the pulley on the powermaster alternator to my stock on? Any thoughts are appcreciated. Thanks.

Im assuming you have the " [. . . .] " style pully on :shrug:

Your belt may need a" [V] style pulley what sort fo belt are you using?

Just like Mustang 70 said, the belt must be correct. A "V" belt is made to run on the sides of the "V", not the bottom. If the belt is bottomed in the "V", it will slip and heat the pully which in turn heats the alternator to the point of failure. All this can happen without any squeeling. In fact, it will work properly up until failure. At that point you will think the alternator is bad, and it will be, but it was ruined because the belt was the incorrect belt. Ask me how I know?

Outlaw

I have the same alternator and had squealing with my v-belt initially. I purchased a "top cog" v-belt from Dayco, tightend the crap out of it and that solved my issue. I do not want to go sepentine. It's been working great over the last year but I still have not tested it out with my 600watt amplifier. I really like the quality of the Dayco belt, it seems like it has a softer compound (to help with gripping the pulley) than a traditional Gates type.