Powersteering.....Yes/No??

351wcoupe

Feb 13, 2003
Manhattan, Kansas
I'm doing as many cheap things as I can to gain(free up) power.First The car is an 87 coupe with complete D&D tube front suspension. Homemade subframes and 8pt cage. It is a 351w with a soon to be C4. I don't drive it on the street so I'm not worried about the daily effects of no-powersteering.

Has anybody used a sterring rack off of something else and gotten it to work. I haven't looked but would one work off of a pinto(I have many)?

• Sponsors (?)

What is the big advantage of the Flaming River rack over the stock mustang manual rack? I know with the FR you can get a 15:1 quick ratio, but besides that what makes the FR rack worth more than twice the price? After all, all that makes a rack is a spur gear onto a rail gear that pushes or pulls the tie rods which turns the wheels one direction or another. As long as it does this well, why would it be different?

About the quick ratio for a street driven car with decent sized tires up front such as a 255/40R17? My concern would be steering response in an emergency situation, such as suddenly finding a tire tread from a 18 wheeler in front of you when your doing 75mph?

90mustangGT said:
What is the big advantage of the Flaming River rack over the stock mustang manual rack? I know with the FR you can get a 15:1 quick ratio, but besides that what makes the FR rack worth more than twice the price? After all, all that makes a rack is a spur gear onto a rail gear that pushes or pulls the tie rods which turns the wheels one direction or another. As long as it does this well, why would it be different?

About the quick ratio for a street driven car with decent sized tires up front such as a 255/40R17? My concern would be steering response in an emergency situation, such as suddenly finding a tire tread from a 18 wheeler in front of you when your doing 75mph?

I'm going to eventually need to get a flaming river rack because my LT headers rub against the stock steering shaft. Dunno if it was before the accident or not, but whatever the case maybe, it does now lol.

351wcoupe said:
I'm doing as many cheap things as I can to gain(free up) power.First The car is an 87 coupe with complete D&D tube front suspension. Homemade subframes and 8pt cage. It is a 351w with a soon to be C4. I don't drive it on the street so I'm not worried about the daily effects of no-powersteering.

Has anybody used a sterring rack off of something else and gotten it to work. I haven't looked but would one work off of a pinto(I have many)?

A stock 79-82 or so Mustang manual rack is the best and cheapest way, if you can find one. I got one, with tie rods and the intermediate shaft used.

Bolted in and works great.

There may be some variations in outer tie rod end threaded sleeve length, between years, but my check at the parts store showed the same part number for ps and manual for 79 -82.

The manual stub shaft is smaller than power so you need the manual shaft coupler for the lower part of the rag joint. This part was $60 by itself.

When I started to do this, there was a significant core charge for not returning a used manual rack, which made the Flaming river kit attractive.

I just seemed to get lucky and find a set of used parts. Otherwise the Flaming River stuff is the way to go.

Works great with a 5.0 and normal tires.