Primer For Quarter Window Repair

Can't seem to find a low luster or satin clear from Duplicolor. Just a gloss lacquer clear, which is listed as a high gloss; not what I want.

Looks like its SEM low luster clear or nothing.

Hey guys, just out of couriousity. I was wanting to redo mine I have a 90' LX Hatch, but mine look like they are rubber and dont even look to be repairable(very cracked and deteriated). Is this the case with the ones you have referbished or am I to the point I just need to replace the trim. Thanks Chad

IMO, you can restore anything. The rougher they are, the more primer you will need. Honestly, I didn't sand much on a bad pair I had. I just hit them with 80 grit to loosen the cracked areas. Blow them off real good and go to town with the primer. Spray bomb primer will take forever. I literally used 2 or 3 cans on a pair one time and they still weren't perfect. I highly recommend Nason 2K Urethane primer. It's activated and you mix it 4:1. You can even thin it out with a little bit of laquer thinner. I do it all the time, but to get it to spray easier cause it's so thick.

I would spray 2 wet coats (wait 15 minutes between each coat @ 70* temp...longer at colder temp). I would let that dry at least 3-4 hours @ 70*...longer if colder. You most likely will still see holes/divets. Simply sand them down with 150...blow off...spray again...2 more coats. Usually...4 is a done deal. Sand them with like 320, then 400 or 600 spray them with your black paint/clear. Done deal. If they still have imperections...get more coats of primer.

True, and you have to pay a lot of attention when sanding not to sand this line away. It was hard for me to sand this line and get the crevice perfectly smooth. I've still got a few bubbles here and there in that line, but nothing that people will notice.

Yeah, I think Ill just have to live with the crapy ones I have now and order some new ones later. I hate to have to order a complete new set just to have the rubber look good. My lines are already messed up so I guess no use in trying to make something look good that will take to much time and money and still probably wont look that good.