Pro Cam Degreeers. NEED HELP...PLEASE..Long Post!

mull9433

Feb 13, 2002
I apologize upfront for this long email...but I really need help and I figure someone here can help figure out my problem. Here goes.

I purchased a used Anderson N-41 cam from a guy in Britton, MI. I have no way of confirming that it is truly a N-41 cam other than it had "N-41" scribed in the end of the cam. I didn't receive a cam card, but I did find one on the internet for this cam.

Anyways, I installed the cam dot-to-dot and then verified TDC. Then I used the intake centerline (ICL) method to degree the cam knowing from the cam card that the ICL should be at 106-degrees of crankshaft rotation. To use this method, I rotated the engine in the normal direction of rotation (clockwise) until I reached max lift of the intake valve. I then rotated the engine counter-clockwise until I reached .100". I then rotated the engine clockwise again until I reached .050" (this should be .050 before max lift) and took a reading from the degree wheel (it read 56-degrees). I then continued to rotate the engine clockwise until I reached max lift and continued past max lift until I reached .050" (this should be .050" after max lift) and took a reading from the degree wheel (it read 162-degrees). I added these two numbers together and divided by two (56+162 = 218/2 = 109-degrees). Because the cam card said to degree the cam to an intake centerline of 106, I determined that I needed to advance the cam 3-degrees.

So...I rotated everything back to TDC and then removed the timing chain. I then rotated the crankshaft clockwise 3-degrees and reinstalled the timing chain. I repeated exactly the process above and got readings of 53 and 159, respectively. Adding these up and dividing by two resulted in an intake centerline of exactly 106-degrees, just as the cam card specified.

So...everything's perfect, right? Wrong. Since this is my first cam install I decided to check my work using the procedure that Crane Cams recommends..."the duration at .050" lift." Using this method, I rotated the engine clockwise until the intake valve began to open. I continued to rotate the engine clockwise until the dial indicator read .050" and took a reading on the degree wheel (it read 24-degrees). I continued to rotate the engine clockwise until I reached maximum lift and took a reading on the dial indicator to compare with the max lift specification listed on the cam card (my indicator read 330 compared to 320 listed on the cam card). I continued to rotate the engine clockwise as the numbers on the dial indicator decreased to .050" and took a reading on the degree wheel (it read 53-degrees). I then compared these two degree readings with what is listed on the cam card and they are nowhere close. The cam card reads:

Timing events at .050: Intake 1/41, Exhaust 45/5

I double checked my readings but got the same results the second time. As you can imagine, this left me very frustrated and needing help. But I don't have anyone around that can help short of paying an engine builder to bail me out. I was hoping someone here could help me instead since there is so much expertise on this board.

So what do you guys think? Is my cam not the N-41 cam? Did I do one or both of the degreeing procedures wrong? Any insight anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

• Sponsors (?)

I will tell you first Anderson does not put alot of markings on their camshafts. I would just check the intake/exhaust valve lift with the dial indicator if they are what cam card says go with it. Just install straight up no advance or retard on crank, and run it!

PUNISHER RACING said:
I would just check the intake/exhaust valve lift with the dial indicator if they are what cam card says go with it. Just install straight up no advance or retard on crank, and run it!

So what happens if the cam wasn't ground perfectly? Like it was 4 degrees retarded to begin with? That could be quite a few ponies he's losing out on wouldn't it?