Problem installing BMR UCA on 05 GT....

V8JamesGT

Jan 22, 2006
Well, when I went to install my BMR UCA, I realized I had to lower the fuel tank. No problem except that they have oversized star bolts on the fuel tank holders. BMR UCA instructions say "Due to a Ford recall, some cars have a unique 50 IP Torx head bolt in this location. This is an oversized T50 Torx that is only available through Snap-On dealers under part number FTX50TPE." Well I asked the dealer if they would install the UCA or let me borrow or buy the snap on part, and they said no. So has anyone else run into this problem? If so what should I do? I don't know any install shops around Louisville, KY that could install it either.

• Sponsors (?)

i have not yet installed mine. its sitting here waiting to be installed as soon as i get free time. according to everything i have seen, you should not have to drop the tank. you may need to loosen the mounting bracket for the UCA though. just remember the one huge bolt that is under the rear seat. if you can wait a few days, i should have mine in and can walk you through it a little better.

use the internet to your advantage search google for install tips. i know steeda has a decent set of instructions on their website.

I would be very interested in seeing an in depth install with pics, Bigcat. If I do end up needing the snap on part, I will buy it from that link you listed, DarkFireGT. Thanks for the help!

the tank doesnt have to be dropped.you only have to remove the arm from the top of the rearend to the stock arm where it bolts to the piece coming out of the tunnel.you will need to loosen the bolt under the rear seat and take the 2 out where the arm bolts under the car.get a propane torch to heat the bolts to loosen the locktite or you want ever get them loose!dont take the one completely out under the seat,just enough so you can move the bracket side to side.when you get the rearend bolt out you can move the arm over to get the other bolt out of the rear bracket.get a 1 1/2 inch wrench and cut it off just enough too get your hand on itabout 6 inches long will work.this will make it alot easier to adjust the pinion angle cause you cant get a long wrench up where the adjusting nut is.try to do this on a lift,i would hate to do it with jack stands.if you hear a bad rattle in the rear one of the jam nuts came loose.dont use the locktite till you get the angle set for the last time.i ended up about -1 degree but i adjusted back and forth till i got the smoothest ride.i dont know what ford uses on the bolts but its a lot stronger than red locktite!plan on 2 to 4 hours to do this on a lift.lift in my shop was the best tool i ever bought.need any help just ask.

I was using jack stands when trying to do this install and the only bolt I had trouble with was the one that goes through the bushing. I got it loose but I couldn't get it out because it was so close to the frame.