Problem with temperature coolant sensor gauge on my 96 GT.

Joel96GT

Sep 8, 2007
Hi, I have a 1996 GT and the coolant temp gauge doesn't work at all. I replaced the coolant temperature gauge return sensor and it still doesn't give any temperature readings. I know the other sensor to the right of the one I replaced is for sending readings to the computer for engine management so that shouldn't be the problem. I am not having cooling problems but I just want the gauge to work so I know that it's running in normal range.

What else can I check to figure out the problem. So far I have replaced the sensor, checked all fuses, and that all seems to be fine. Is there anything in the gauge cluster that could be bad? Everything else in the cluster works except the temperature gauge so I assume it's good. Any tips to point me in the right direction before I have to rip into the wiring?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

When you replaced the temp sensor, did u get a coolant temperature sensor or a temperature switch? Because i have a 98 and my coolant light was coming on so i suspect that the coolant sensor was bad. and i asked for a coolant temp sensor and then replaced the one on the left and my guage stop working. So i took it back and we found the right part and it's a temperature switch that i needed. Both of them look identical except the tips that go down inside the intake manifolds are different so this can be confusing. It worked fine after i put the temp switch on the left. I dunno if this will help but good luck

When you replaced the temp sensor, did u get a coolant temperature sensor or a temperature switch? Because i have a 98 and my coolant light was coming on so i suspect that the coolant sensor was bad. and i asked for a coolant temp sensor and then replaced the one on the left and my guage stop working. So i took it back and we found the right part and it's a temperature switch that i needed. Both of them look identical except the tips that go down inside the intake manifolds are different so this can be confusing. It worked fine after i put the temp switch on the left. I dunno if this will help but good luck

Check if the needle is stuck in the cluster.

Yeah I noticed after closer inspection that the needle is moving only about a millimeter from cold to warmed up. It does almost seem like it's stuck though. It's not bouncing around or anything, just moving from the base to barely just above the base after the engine is warmed up.

I did the same thing you did, asked for a coolant temp sensor. I figured it was the right part because it fit right in the intake manifold and the plug end was exactly the same as the old one as well. That's kind of strange since the one on the left is different from the one on the right of the intake even the plugs are shaped differently. Do you happen to remember the part number of the switch?

Sorry about the post

I appologize about the quadroople post there. Something was wrong with this site last night when i post, or maybe my computer is screwed up, i dunno. But yea the manufacturer is Wells and the part# TU241, from auto zone. Hope this helps

I appologize about the quadroople post there. Something was wrong with this site last night when i post, or maybe my computer is screwed up, i dunno. But yea the manufacturer is Wells and the part# TU241, from auto zone. Hope this helps

Well I replaced this part and it still didn't help it. I also went ahead and replaced the sensor on the right too. The gauge needle still doesn't move at all. I took the gauge cluster off and checked the connections and they were good, I also moved the needle and it moved freely. In fact, once I started the car the needle went back into it's cold condition so it did move back from where I had moved it, but other than that it wont move at all once the car is hot. I am lost here, any other ideas? Is it possible that the actual gauge itself is bad even if it moved back into it's base position after I manually moved it around?

Any suggestions? Heck I may just end up buying a mechanical gauge and not worry about the electric stock gauge. Do they make any kits that screw directly into the stock location on the intake manifold?

Hi, I have a 1996 GT and the coolant temp gauge doesn't work at all. I replaced the coolant temperature gauge return sensor and it still doesn't give any temperature readings. I know the other sensor to the right of the one I replaced is for sending readings to the computer for engine management so that shouldn't be the problem. I am not having cooling problems but I just want the gauge to work so I know that it's running in normal range.

What else can I check to figure out the problem. So far I have replaced the sensor, checked all fuses, and that all seems to be fine. Is there anything in the gauge cluster that could be bad? Everything else in the cluster works except the temperature gauge so I assume it's good. Any tips to point me in the right direction before I have to rip into the wiring?

Thanks.
Hello,
I'm not sure if you have fixed your problem or not, but I have a 96 mustang gt 4.6L, and my coolant gauge stopped working for several years. I tried everything under the sun to fix it, but nothing worked. Then it came to me. I took out the instrument cluster, and removed the coolant, and fuel gauges. I noticed that the parts were so old, and brittle. I then noticed the old resister on the back of the coolant gauge. I know electronics so I figured out the size of the resister by the color bands on it. I went to an electronic store and bought a brand new resister, and soldered it in the old one's place. Put everything back together, and WOW, it worked like a charm. So I went through all the gauges and replaced all the old resisters with new ones, and haven't had a problem since with any gauge not working. Hope that helps...