Progress thread - DUW - Good Pics for reference

LoudToy958

Mar 30, 2005
Bremerton, WA
I made a ton of progress. Still have a lot of things to go, still waiting on the chrome stuff, and pulleys.

I am not going nuts with the chrome, I have seen a few. I don't have time to care of all of that. Looks good on some cars I have seen on here though.

There are some great reference pics here - especially the ever so popular oil pressure gauge fitting to the block. HERE IT IS.

More great info on my site. I will add more info and pics this week and the week after. I will post finished products as well if interested. I will be out tonight, but will answer questions in the late evening. ENJOY, tell me what you think, and critisism and ideas are always welcome here.

803618_98_full.jpg

803618_99_full.jpg

803618_100_full.jpg

803618_90_full.jpg

803618_93_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

FEW MORE PICS - I don't know how many you can have here at once, so I split it up. I have some sanding and clearing to do yet, but the idea is there.

803618_92_full.jpg

803618_94_full.jpg

803618_96_full.jpg

803618_101_full.jpg

THANKS Low-5.0 - I got a lot of ideas from you, just a few changes. Thanks for the info though - really helpful.

Looking good! Did you go with powder coating, or just paint? I may have to do that with my acc. brackets next time I have them off, it's too much work keeping them looking good after I polished them.

Low-5.0 said:
Looking good! Did you go with powder coating, or just paint? I may have to do that with my acc. brackets next time I have them off, it's too much work keeping them looking good after I polished them.

I powder coated the brakets(very durable), and base/cleared the alt, and ps pump. I don't expect the accessorys to last long. We will see. I am gonna order a new 3G alternator from PA performance, it will come powder coated gloss black. I just hope the water pump lasts. I painted it with high temp paint. I did the same with the water neck, and it held up great so far.

I am not going crazy with the polishing and chroming, I just don't want to take care of it all the time. I had the oil cooler lines, overflow bracket, crank pulley, water pump pulley, alternator pulley, and all the bolts chromed, but I think that will be all. Just enough to set it off. I think the black and grey will look good. I will post pics when complete.

The other pulleys I ordered from Wazee.

damn, i wish i had the $$ to spend right now on powdercoating when i do my headswap... ill most likely just hit a few parts with high temp paint and clean the rest up good before i put it all back together

urban96 said:
damn, i wish i had the $$ to spend right now on powdercoating when i do my headswap... ill most likely just hit a few parts with high temp paint and clean the rest up good before i put it all back together

I learned that when you use high temp paint you have to paint all the layers within so many minutes to get a nice even look. Also, if you use the high temp clear, you need to use it with 20 minutes of the final color coat. If you don't, you will get a strange spider webb effect that looks like crap. I had to redo my alternator housing because of this. I made some inquiries, and this is the info I found.

It cost me less than 60 bucks to get those brackets done. Not much more than paint and supplies for prep work really. I know your doing a $$$$ project, so take your time. All this stuff I am doing has been over a 10 day period. LOTS and LOTS of prep work for the painted stuff.

Lets see what it looks like when its all done. I probably told you that already somewhere, but I like to look at others rides. They are all different.

LoudToy958 said:
I learned that when you use high temp paint you have to paint all the layers within so many minutes to get a nice even look. Also, if you use the high temp clear, you need to use it with 20 minutes of the final color coat. If you don't, you will get a strange spider webb effect that looks like crap. I had to redo my alternator housing because of this. I made some inquiries, and this is the info I found.

It cost me less than 60 bucks to get those brackets done. Not much more than paint and supplies for prep work really. I know your doing a $$$$ project, so take your time. All this stuff I am doing has been over a 10 day period. LOTS and LOTS of prep work for the painted stuff.

Lets see what it looks like when its all done. I probably told you that already somewhere, but I like to look at others rides. They are all different.
thanks for the tips :nice: ill definatly keep those in mind when im doing mine. all your stuff looks really good

Looking good man, I just got thru doing the same thing to my brackets and accessories, I used a 500° paint and clear on the PS and brackets and cured them with a heat gun after they dried for a day. I have yet to tackle the Alt, but may leave mine like it is till I order me a new PA one in black.

slvrbullit302 said:
Looking good man, I just got thru doing the same thing to my brackets and accessories, I used a 500° paint and clear on the PS and brackets and cured them with a heat gun after they dried for a day. I have yet to tackle the Alt, but may leave mine like it is till I order me a new PA one in black.

I would not bother with the alternator. It wasn't hard, but really time consuming. I agree with the PA performance part. Just have to wait until August for some more cash. Over shot my budget here a little, and had to use credit. Not big on that. This month I'll pay that off, next month I'll buy the alt. I have a show July 31, and I couldn't have the alternator look like crap. Its about dead anyhow. Only puts out 85 amps at 3200rmp. Good thing I don't drive it daily.

BTW, you got some pics. I love pics..........Curious to see others ideas. Gets the gears working in my head.

Nice work... :nice: Its all in the detailing...Makes a big difference....
I opened up my hood the other day with 6 fellow gearheads looking on.....It's nice to get compliments on all the work you got into it...

nmcgrawj said:
Where did u get that steel hose for the oil pressure? How long is it? How much was it?

The rest of the connections can be had at home depot or the like right?

We have a place here local that sells Earls lines in 6" incraments. I bought the line and the two connectors for $25. It is a 36" line. I ran it under th upper intake along the driver side fuel rail, and had room to hide it by the fire wall and zip tie it(the sender) in a nice tight place. I actually zip tied it from under the car, but you can do it any way you want.

The Log in the block came off a Fox. I just had it cut down, and had the ports machined and tapped to fit the faactory line and the new line. Easy stuff really.

Oil temp is next - I have a great idea for that also. I will post those pics next weekend when I get that gauge installed.

RIO5.0 said:
Nice work... :nice: Its all in the detailing...Makes a big difference....
I opened up my hood the other day with 6 fellow gearheads looking on.....It's nice to get compliments on all the work you got into it...

Yea... It certainly can be in the details. Great work!! Pics when its all assembled. :nice: