Proud Owner of 83 LX Convertible.

Tosteel

Feb 21, 2019
Kent,Wa.
Got mine for a steal on January 1st, 2019. Now I join you, this is my third Mustang. I've had a 75 with a 4 cylinder, an 80 with a 4, and now this 83 with a V6 all with automatic trans.. I found and bought a Chilton guide for my year to help with maintenance. Couple questions though, any suggestions would be appreciated. First convertible top, latches are undone you hit switch and hear the motor whirring, but top doesn't move. You can put top down manually just fine. Mechanism seems to be sealed in a "Bag", but sounds like something isn't engaging. 2nd, engine cooling fan doesn't come on most of the time (electric for some reason). I've checked fuse, checked wires and seen it work once. Has almost overheated a few times and it's less than 50 degrees here.

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't checked any literature, but it looks like factory work. Where the crankshaft fan would be, isn't centered in the radiator. But with space on both sides of radiator this could've been corrected. Thanks though

The top runs off of transmission fluid. Sounds like the fluid is low. The bag you describe, does it cover the area behind the back seat ? If you look down behind the quarter glass there is a silver cylinder that pushes and pulls the top frame up and down. The seals up top are known to leak a little bit....over time it can cause your issue. You can access the top motor through the trunk...its almost all the way in the back. If you have the felt cardboard trunk liner you have to remove it to get back there. Theres a rubber plug in the side....that's where the fluid goes.

If factory equipped with elec fan and AC, the fan should come on if you turn the AC on. If it does at least you know the fan is not the problem. Try the AC and see if the fan comes on.

If it matters, the electric fan is original. Like John mentioned, turn the ac on and see if it comes on.

That was the original drivetrain in my ‘83.