pullies a waste??

robg860

Mar 2, 2004
Hi gentlemen,
Did you see the 5.0 mag. 2 months ago when the guy did 1 mod at a time then displayed dyno results?? The pullies net. was <1 HP on the 2000GT. Several other bolt ons were done some better than others. The pro-m was decent for a bolt on, as was cat back exhaust. The accufab body and plenum are very good, I tried that. Makes throttle response much better! Anyway, I thought from research pullies would be detrimental to the car. I cant help but think Ford has maximized their pullies on the 99 and newer. I like the way the 4.6 runs compared to my old 5.0 mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't quote me on this but I was talking to my buddy about his pulleys. He said that they really don't add HP but they contribute to the low end torque. He has pulleys and a TA on his 2001 GT and he said you can definitely feel the difference. It's only a matter of time until I get mine.<?'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me':namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

CottonBurnerz said:
Many people gain around 6-8 rwhp and rwtq.... I will put u/d pullies in mine as well and do before/after dyno if I could.

Sure didnt get 6-8 in mustang mag. This is a cited reference made public to all by a credited source that advertises pullies!!! If they got 6-8 consistently wouldnt they exploit that for advertising?? You might get 6-8 on older cars. What fact do you have stating 6-8 to the wheels. Please post ASAP so I can contact them to verify. I disagree with 6-8, sounds like a modern day miracle!! I guess the k&n filter gets you 10% more HP like many advertisements, and Autozones say. Ive heard of alternator failures, cooling failures, voltage drops, belts rubbing, and even oil leakes caused by pullies. This could be from an inproper install also, but I still think pullies are a waste!

:lol:
I dont think they are pointless my car was at 236rwhp before pullies and chip, now Im at 252rwhp. I dont think the chip added all of that just by bumping timing. I dont have a custom tune or anything either, just a timing advance, and had it calibrated for my 3.73's. I could also feel more of a pull over 4000 rpm which is very nice :nice: I put the pullies in about 3 months after my chip, so I know the sotp feel wasnt from a combination of both. Everyone has their own opinion though so :shrug:

From my years on SN and Corral, many people do the pullies and timing advance at the same time. Often they report about 15rwhp gains. I have usually seen about 5-6 gained with the pullies alone.

I won't swap mine b/c I do not like how my alternator goes down with the lights and defroster on.

StangLou said:
:lol:
I dont think they are pointless my car was at 236rwhp before pullies and chip, now Im at 252rwhp. I dont think the chip added all of that just by bumping timing. I dont have a custom tune or anything either, just a timing advance, and had it calibrated for my 3.73's. I could also feel more of a pull over 4000 rpm which is very nice :nice: I put the pullies in about 3 months after my chip, so I know the sotp feel wasnt from a combination of both. Everyone has their own opinion though so :shrug:

Is your 252 rwhp SAE corrected? According to your sig., you gained over 25 rwhp from just a timing and pullies. Your CAI and Flowmasters are not helping. That's simply incredible.

2000GT said:
Is your 252 rwhp SAE corrected? According to your sig., you gained over 25 rwhp from just a timing and pullies. Your CAI and Flowmasters are not helping. That's simply incredible.

Just caught that you baselined at 236 which I know isn't SAE corrected. Still, you gained 16 rwhp from just pullies and timing. Since pullies are basically worthless, you gained about roughly 13-14 rwhp from just timing?

robg860 said:
Hi gentlemen,
Did you see the 5.0 mag. 2 months ago when the guy did 1 mod at a time then displayed dyno results?? The pullies net. was <1 HP on the 2000GT. Several other bolt ons were done some better than others. The pro-m was decent for a bolt on, as was cat back exhaust. The accufab body and plenum are very good, I tried that. Makes throttle response much better! Anyway, I thought from research pullies would be detrimental to the car. I cant help but think Ford has maximized their pullies on the 99 and newer. I like the way the 4.6 runs compared to my old 5.0 mustang.
If you are referring to the article I think you are, they put the timing adjuster on at the same time (to save time since they had the pulleys off anyway) as the pulleys and set it to 10 degrees in an attempt to keep it at stock. The dyno showed bad numbers which were unexpected. When they checked with Steeda, they found out that the TA relocates the sensor and it should actually be at 11 to be the same as stock. It is all in the article. This explains the poor results they got.

I have the Steeda pulleys and I believe they make a difference, but then again the 96-98s need as much help as they can get. No, I did not do dynos for proof. The difference on the 99+ may not be as noticeable, but I am of the opinion that they can benefit from less parasitic loss as well.

Black96VertGT said:
If you are referring to the article I think you are, they put the timing adjuster on at the same time (to save time since they had the pulleys off anyway) as the pulleys and set it to 10 degrees in an attempt to keep it at stock. The dyno showed bad numbers which were unexpected. When they checked with Steeda, they found out that the TA relocates the sensor and it should actually be at 11 to be the same as stock. It is all in the article. This explains the poor results they got.

I have the Steeda pulleys and I believe they make a difference, but then again the 96-98s need as much help as they can get. No, I did not do dynos for proof. The difference on the 99+ may not be as noticeable, but I am of the opinion that they can benefit from less parasitic loss as well.

:owned:

I read the same article and you are correct. They put the timing adjuster on at the same time and set it to 10 degres.

I have been around Mustang Shops and this forum for about 3 years. Pullies work my friend.

2000GT, Ive already told you this in the L/T's are worthless thread... my #'s are STD, which I know gives you so much room to gripe, but they are STD. I saw the difference b/t my #'s with SAE and STD, and there were only around .3rwhp difference. A 5.0 went on behind me with Nitrous and there was only around a .5rwhp difference b/t SAE and STD with his #'s. I didnt know the differenc then, so I got the STD #'s printed out. Yes, stupid me for not knowing better :rolleyes: All my other dyno's from this point on will be SAE since I know, with my luck, my #'s will drop 10hp, but it will make you happy so thats what seems to matter on this board :rolleyes:
Maybe for your car, pullies wont/didnt do squat, for my car, I can definately feel a difference above 4000rpm in 3rd and 4th.
Take what I say how you will, I could care less lol. He asked what we thought of pullies, I answered my opinion, you have yours, get over it.

:cheers:

StangLou said:
2000GT, Ive already told you this in the L/T's are worthless thread... my #'s are STD, which I know gives you so much room to gripe, but they are STD. I saw the difference b/t my #'s with SAE and STD, and there were only around .3rwhp difference. A 5.0 went on behind me with Nitrous and there was only around a .5rwhp difference b/t SAE and STD with his #'s. I didnt know the differenc then, so I got the STD #'s printed out. Yes, stupid me for not knowing better :rolleyes: All my other dyno's from this point on will be SAE since I know, with my luck, my #'s will drop 10hp, but it will make you happy so thats what seems to matter on this board :rolleyes:
Maybe for your car, pullies wont/didnt do squat, for my car, I can definately feel a difference above 4000rpm in 3rd and 4th.
Take what I say how you will, I could care less lol. He asked what we thought of pullies, I answered my opinion, you have yours, get over it.

:cheers:

You say you know why it's important to SAE numbers, but yet were using STD numbers to offer advice to robg860. I just want robg860 to understand that you were using STD numbers because the gains you saw with STD won't necessarily be the same he sees with these mods. on his car.

Say robg860 adds pullies to his car and gets his car dynoed on a hot summer day. If he gets his numbers in STD, his car may see no gain or a even a loss from his pullies. Now, if he knew in advance that pullies made say 3 or 4 SAE rwhp., he could correct his dyno for SAE and see the gains because SAE will correct for the hot summer heat.

I just find it misleading to quote uncorrected dyno numbers.

2000GT said:
I just find it misleading to quote uncorrected dyno numbers.

StangLou said:
I saw the difference b/t my #'s with SAE and STD, and there were only around .3rwhp difference.

0.3 rwhp difference is misleading??? :rolleyes:

Pullies are a good mod, usually worth around 5 rwhp. Sometimes a little more, sometimes less.