Pulling Codes For The First Time

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I bought the innova code reader a while back so I could pull codes on the Cobra. I'd never pulled codes before, so I wanted a straightforward an experience as possible. Everything went smoothly, but I wondered if I might solicit a an opinion or two on some strange things I saw when performing the procedure.

The first time I ran KOEO, I received a 511 and 512 (continuous memory) code. The code book tells me those codes are both to do with the PCM; in fact, the internet seems to think they point to a bad PCM. However, I ran KOEO multiple times (I never cleared the codes, only read them) and only received the 511 and 512 codes the first time.

I ran KOER multiple times as well. The code reader couldn't decide if my car had six or eight cylinders. Every other test would say eight, every other would say six. Very odd.

The only other codes I received during KOEO were 116 - ECT sensor out of range (this would possibly explain why my COOLANT LOW light is always on until the car warms up; it went away after I warmed it up in preparation for KOER), 327 & 558 - both EGR codes. The only code I received during KOER was 327 again. This explains the check engine light, but it kind of upsetting as the switch chip I have (I know, they suck) was supposed to mitigate the EGR throwing the light.

Anyway, everything went smooth, but I was kind of puzzled by the disappearing 511 and 512 codes and the reader being wishy-washy about six or eight cylinders. That being said, the reader is a nice little tool.

• Sponsors (?)