Put the car on the dyno yesterday.

classic boost

Founding Member
Feb 3, 1999
canton, oh
1st time ever for that car. combo: 351w, t76, c4, 21psi, e98, efi.

made a bunch of pulls creeping up on the tune. the car loved timing with the e98. no intercooler and it took 28deg @ 20psi. i have 38deg @10psi.
car made 700hp/643tq. it was breaking up ~5700, but i don't know what that's about yet. it was a good day.

• Sponsors (?)

dynochart.jpg

efieng1.jpg

efieng2.jpg

Congrats! The break up almost looks like a limiter. There isn't a fuel or spark cut hiding somewhere is there. Are you still using the Mallory box? Did the boost curve look like that with gasoline?

I'm betting you would see significant gains with a good air-to-air intercooler, ....no intercooler= a lot of hot air under high boost, good thing you're running ethanol what size injectors are you running?

i checked the limiter in the efi and the ing box. it doesn't hit that hard. you can still pull past it, but it struggles. the guy on the pedal just got out of it when it hit. since the a/f is in the low 7's, i imagine it's spark.

i drove a hour to the track and made some passes last night. for alcohol, it's sensitive to a/f. i leaned it out .5 pt and it picked up 2mph. leaded out out another .25, and it slowed down 2mph. i messed around mostly with the boost controller. the car leaves like a turd, even on the trans brake. no joke, it looks like a 16sec car off the line.
best run:

1.64 60ft
10.20@139

not the numbers i wanted, but 139mph still feels damn fast in a 40yr old car. i didn't had any issues, nothing broke, and i drove it home, so it was a good day.

...leaves like a turd... 1.64 60ft...

That doesnt seem that bad. I thought turbo cars usually did leave kinda slow. According to the Alternative Auto (Lidio Iacobelli) website...
...the now Turbo’d ’88 yellow LX ran an unexpected; 9.30 @ 155mph with only a 1.62 60ft time!!
Now thats leavin like a turd, but its on 18" rims and a foot brake. Heres the page, for anyone interested: http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/88gt_tropical.html

My car has not been that fast yet, but people are amazed I drive it to the track. I am sure they freak when they find out you drove it that far to the track. Congrats on another trip to the track. It must not be making any boost at all on the tbrake. Do you have a 2 step? Did you get it to rev past 5700?

i drove a hour to the track and made some passes last night. for alcohol, it's sensitive to a/f. i leaned it out .5 pt and it picked up 2mph. leaded out out another .25, and it slowed down 2mph. i messed around mostly with the boost controller. the car leaves like a turd, even on the trans brake. no joke, it looks like a 16sec car off the line.
best run:

1.64 60ft
10.20@139

not the numbers i wanted, but 139mph still feels damn fast in a 40yr old car. i didn't had any issues, nothing broke, and i drove it home, so it was a good day.

Do ya have a 2step? I would think you could get some decent boost built on the line and have some good 60' times. 1.64 is real slow for that MPH. :)

oh, it builds boost fine on the t-brake. i can set that with the ams. i started with 3.5lbs, then ramped it in. when i ramped it in faster, about 75ft out, the tires didn't agree. i tried leaving on 6lbs also. it didn't feel that bad in the car, but to watch the vid, you'd think i stalled the car. weird.
i definitely need to work on the front suspension. as soon as it reaches full extension, it's done.