putting car back together, have a couple questions

stition

Jul 2, 2007
I'm just finishing replacing my first head gasket on my 85 GT. I'm wondering if I need to adjust the valves, or if I can just torque them down to 20 lbs. I removed the distributor and didn't bother making any marks to show how it was oriented before, and don't have anything discernible on crankshaft pulley (not very experienced working on cars as you can tell). Can I just put cylinder 1 at TDC and orient the rotor to point at cylinder 1? I have a timing light and everything, just need it to initially start up. And finally, the cars carbed and there are a bunch of small vacuum lines that run off it. I was planning on plugging the small ones to see which were necessary (it looks like a mess with all of them). Is that a good idea? Thanks in advance for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

retorque them 20 lbs but turn the motor over so the lifters are on the base circle of the lobe not in the opening/closing stage. thats how i put my dist in, but make sure to turn the motor over till number one is on the compression stroke. you may find the carb vac line info on foureyedpride.com they cater to the older carb cars.