Putting Engine Back In Car, Few Questions

I am putting a 302 into a donor car. I am almost done but have a couple of questions regarding connectors. In the attached picture there is a connector (in the red circle) that I have no clue as to where it goes, can someone give me some detailed information to what it connects to. Also, the donor car has been in my garage for 4 years and I have no clue how much gas is in the tank. Should I drop it and clean it out, or is there something I can/should add to the tank? What kind of problems can I expect if I don't clean it out? Also is there a diagram that shows where all the ground connectors go? I have about, what appears to be, 3 or 4 wires that look like they should be ground wires. Thanks...

Attachments

• DSC_0092a.jpg
    DSC_0092a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Sponsors (?)

gas tank- put gas in it and drive it for about 10 minutes or so and then change fuel filter. All the junk should make its way to the filter by then.

Connector- goes to the charcoal canister. There should be a connector that reaches up to that one

Isn't the charcol canister the black box with two caps on the top and two connectors one about 3/16" and the other about 5/8" that look like vacuum connections? If that's the one, then what you are saying is the electrical connector (in the picture) goes to the black box that has no electrical attributes? Thanks...

how much fuel is in the tank? i would drain it if its more than a few gallons...old fuel will gum up injectors and foul out the plugs...and cause a number of other problems

vaporcannisterconnectionsfoxbody.jpg

Attachments

• vaporcannisterconnectionsfoxbody.jpg
    vaporcannisterconnectionsfoxbody.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 81
I am putting a 302 into a donor car. I am almost done but have a couple of questions regarding connectors. In the attached picture there is a connector (in the red circle) that I have no clue as to where it goes, can someone give me some detailed information to what it connects to. Also, the donor car has been in my garage for 4 years and I have no clue how much gas is in the tank. Should I drop it and clean it out, or is there something I can/should add to the tank? What kind of problems can I expect if I don't clean it out? Also is there a diagram that shows where all the ground connectors go? I have about, what appears to be, 3 or 4 wires that look like they should be ground wires. Thanks...

I just got done putting mine in. I don't have that plug in to anything either. I believe there is two ground that I found. One is your ground for your engine and the other is for the wiring harness. Engine ground, I bolted that one to one of the transmission bolt and for the wiring harness, I drilled a hole on the fire wall.

Also on the GROUNDING topic:

Do yourself a favor if running electric fans and to also stabilize other electrical issues as the car ages.

Ground the engine to the firewall. Run the battery negative to the engine block. Run another decent size wire #10 or #8 from the battery to the fender apron. Also run the EFI harness ground to the engine block.

I also typically run a ground from an engine bracket in the front to the area just under the battery. I use a large battery style cable with two eyelets, one on each end.

Remember to complete ANY circuit, you need a ground. Consider all those HEAVY hot wires running to the battery post on the solenoid. Where do they ground? To the chassis. How does that chassis get to the battery negative if it is hooked to the engine block? Through those small grounds from the block back to chassis? Run extra period.

To make it simple do this. Take pen and paper. Draw a battery, engine, chassis, and solenoid. Think of the solenoid as a chassis located component. Think of the engine as an isolated member sitting out in the middle of an island. Basically draw a double line through all those components representing both positive and negative.

If you run a heavy hot wire to the solenoid, it supplies the chassis (lights, fan, radio, etc...) with power which then they ground to chassis. Now your engine has spark plugs and sensors which need power and a path back to ground. So you need a HEAVY ground connecting the engine to the battery. Your starter does too.

But you still need a battery to chassis ground. You don't want all those heavy loads having to pass through your engine and it's grounds just to find a path to ground (battery).

Think of those grounds as fuses. I've seen heavy grounds fail or come loose and burn lighter wires in half.