Putting my engine together

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, one of my tubular intakes was a funny story. It was on craigslist a few years ago. I called the guy and talked a little. Found out he was actually on the Big Island of Hawaii, I live on Oahu (Honolulu). He tells me he works for Hawaiian Airlines and he actually flies it over and I met him at the airport. He hands me the upper, the lower and out of the blue he says "this goes with it too". The COVER! $300 for everything!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 6 users
Actually, one of my tubular intakes was a funny story. It was on craigslist a few years ago. I called the guy and talked a little. Found out he was actually on the Big Island of Hawaii, I live on Oahu (Honolulu). He tells me he works for Hawaiian Airlines and he actually flies it over and I met him at the airport. He hands me the upper, the lower and out of the blue he says "this goes with it too". The COVER! $300 for everything!
you lucky dog you!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
In one of my convertibles I have the Ford x306 aluminium heads and a XE264HR-14 cam. I can't say anything bad about those heads. They have performed well in that car. As far as intakes go, I have a trick flow on my coupe right now. I know it performs better than the tubular gt40, but I am just over the look of it. No offense to anyone using one. I am going to sell mine to recoup some of the cash I have laid out for this engine.

20200116_095751.jpg

I don't care for the look of that either.

Kurt

I have to agree with the others. If you don’t plan to upgrade the block, some damn GT40P heads and an S trim will get you to the blocks limit. Not saying that’s what you should run, but I’d save the money where you can. TF170’s are a nice proven head.

I ordered the 11R 190 heads. It came down to the fact I had saved the money up for them, and I don't want to regret not doing it. Will they be overkill? Maybe, but I have seen some pretty impressive numbers achieved with these heads. Should be here by Friday.

Chris

Reactions: 2 users
As much as i'd say slapping a GT40 intake on a set of 11R's might be a mismatch, i'd probably do the same thing. In fact, if I could go back i would have bought the 11R's instead of the 170's and still would have slapped a ported explorer on it. I understand its leaving a lot of power off the table, but sometimes it's not about getting every little HP out of a combo.

And sometimes it is.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand its leaving a lot of power off the table, but sometimes it's not about getting every little HP out of a combo.
I've done it multiple different ways and honestly now that i'm a bit older, the "all out" approach in the case of anything other than a race car, is a mistake.
When I did my extrude honed wedge custom combo on a 302 it was notably more powerful than the average hci setup, i'll go as far as to say it was quicker than some cars with strokers, but it came at a cost. It wanted to be driven hard and fast, but putting around was less than gratifying. It was my choice to go all out and I got what I wished for...
While i'm not totally on board with a tfs1 cam (cam is too deep in the engine, I just feel like custom is the way to go) i'm absolutely on board with the gt40 intake.

And the reason I don't like the cover is that at a glance it looks like an explorer intake. I like the mechanical industrial look of the gt40 without the cover (just personal taste).
And for the record, I paid $125 for my last gt40 tubular.