Putting together a 408 stroker for a 94-95 sn95 car. Need some input.

Luis Ceballos

Nov 1, 2015
Well as the title says im going to be building a 408 stroker and thinking of putting it on a sn95 body incase a cheap fox does not come thru. The base for this is a 89 block out of a bronco , will have the block inspected and bored 30 over . As for the stroker kit I will either piece it together or get one from scat or eagle, I decided to go with a budget septup because this will not be a high HP car, no force induction. I already have my twin turbo coyote car for that. Okay so cast crank, forged rods and hyper pistons that's what most of the cheaper kits consist off. It may see nitrous but not much, 100 hp shot at most. This gonna be a fun project and really something I been wanting to do for a long time. Im one of the few that just love a well done SN95 car.

Okay now onto the part were I would like some advice, Heads and intake options, I dont want to really cheap out on this part because if anything the top end is whats going to decide how much power and torque I get from this engine. I want to know what size heads would best fit a 408, I have been looking at the edelbrock e-series cylinder heads. The price on these heads is just right in my budget, another is the victor Jr heads. My main concern is the heads, I dont want the wrong heads on the engine that would be too small and choke it out, im looking to make close if not more than 430 rwhp on this setup. For intake I have been thinking of using a carb style lower with bungs for injectors like a dual plane style manifold with an elbow and matching throttle body for an engine this size. Car will be auto with 4.10 gears . What do you guys think of this combo ? Around 10/11 to 1 compression ratio.

• Sponsors (?)

225 cc heads, don't cheap out and buy Chinese fried rice heads. You're going to have so much torque with a properly built and tuned engine that 4:10 rear gears are going to be too much. All smoke and no traction and you'll probably run out RPM before the finish line. Turning a stroker past 6400 without an exacting and expensive balance job is not a plan for long lived success.

Reactions: 1 users
225 cc heads, don't cheap out and buy Chinese fried rice heads. You're going to have so much torque with a properly built and tuned engine that 4:10 rear gears are going to be too much. All smoke and no traction and you'll probably run out RPM before the finish line. Turning a stroker past 6400 without an exacting and expensive balance job is not a plan for long lived success.
I have been looking at the edelbrock e-series heads, 205cc runners , 60 cc combustion. What do you think about this head ?

Nothing wrong with Edelbrock, BUT, AFR 220’s or even better yet a set of Trickflow high ports will net you more. 10.5 to 1 compression will make a sweet engine for you.

I’m not bashing Edelbrock, but AFR and especially Trickflow heads are what’s hot at the moment.

Nothing wrong with Edelbrock, BUT, AFR 220’s or even better yet a set of Trickflow high ports will net you more. 10.5 to 1 compression will make a sweet engine for you.

I’m not bashing Edelbrock, but AFR and especially Trickflow heads are what’s hot at the moment.
Gonna have to break out the wallet for those, but you are right, its one of those things were if I get the edelbrock and make xxx amount of power and the find out those other heads would have put me way above my goals. What are you guys opinion on how much Horsepower and torque a 408 with a combo like that should be putting at the tires?

Reactions: 1 user
Nice choice, though a 408 could easily use AFR 220's as well.
What are other choices that compare to afr 205 and 220s? I know I mentioned the victor jr heads, do they perform similar to the afr 205s or 220s ? Trickflow ? I get on summit racing and I see other brands aswell as cast iron heads from dart and so on, any experience with those other heads ?

What are other choices that compare to afr 205 and 220s? I know I mentioned the victor jr heads, do they perform similar to the afr 205s or 220s ? Trickflow ? I get on summit racing and I see other brands aswell as cast iron heads from dart and so on, any experience with those other heads ?
I know about the AFRs, though the drag racing guys here say the Trickflow high ports are clearly better. Truthfully, they would know best there I think. @TOOLOW91 has more real knowledge about them than I do.

There’s nothing wrong with the victor jrs, they are good heads. Just not on the same par as AFR or TF.

I got nothing on the Dart heads for you.

I know about the AFRs, though the drag racing guys here say the Trickflow high ports are clearly better. Truthfully, they would know best there I think. @TOOLOW91 has more real knowledge about them than I do.

There’s nothing wrong with the victor jrs, they are good heads. Just not on the same par as AFR or TF.

I got nothing on the Dart heads for you.

Starting from scratch id be looking into some high ports for sure . They are on par if not better then the AFR 220 renegades . All depends on what you’re goal is with the Car though . Vic JR are killer heads ported as we’ll . I have multiple friends who have been deep in the 8s with them