Pypes X pipe installed.....accidental results

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
picked up a NIB o/r pypes stainless x pipe from Joe at billet_depot for $161.98 shipped for my 2000 GT. very happy about the price, especially it being stainless.

fitment was ok. install went smoother than i anticipated with the help of a buddy and a lift but had some leak issues around the drivers side manifold. ended up having to hit up the local parts store for a soft metal gasket ring to stop the leak. also bought a new fel pro gasket for the passenger side manifold ( not included with the x pipe ) at the parts store. still have two very tiny leaks around where the 'legs' attach to the X ( 3 piece x pipe ). pypes includes two band clamps but did not seal it completly. the ball n socket joints to the factory catback have no leaks at all.

overall im happy but the leaks bug the crap out of me. you cant hear them from outside the car unless you are on all 4's with your ear to the underside of the car and even then its faint. however, you can hear them from inside the car during a lug while driving but its minimal. if the radio is on, its not noticeable. i later removed the very narrow stock 1 bolt band clamps and installed some two bolt 2 1/2" dia, 3" wide band clamps from carquest....still leaks some :mad:

and the accidental results: for moneys sake, i decided on keeping my stock catback for a while and just install the x pipe. i had a buyer lined up for my stock catted h pipe, which i sold for $165. so as far as parts, i basically swapped stock mid pipe for a new stainless o/r x pipe - freebie !

my stock cb has weld-in 40 series flowmasters. i like the sound of flowmasters and a mustang sounds great with them BUT EVERYONE HAS THEM. my original plan was to do a new full cb ( NOT flowmaster ) but after hearing the o/r X with what i have....i like it - ALOT! ive heard plenty of mustangs with this same setup but mine sounds different and i dont know why. only thing i can figure out is the mufflers are just worn out:shrug: . the car is VERY raspy, which i expected from the X and wanted. the tone changes thru the rpm's. its hard to explain. even under minimal throttle, around 2500 rpm the car just sounds pissed off. its a high pitched poppy tinny sound and the exhaust tone is VERY loud. i still plan on changing the cb later on but for the time being, im just going to enjoy what i have. i even purchased some nice slight angle cut 3.5" outlet tips and had them welded on, ditching the stock tips. had them installed side ways so the tip follows the body lines of the bumper. seen a few others do this. its different, i like it.

• Sponsors (?)

mac flowpaths are actually what i was wanting. great minds think alike eh?

dying for the borla stinger cb but sheesh, i cant pay that much for exhaust :(

Hahaha, yeah man, was I in the exact same boat you are in now.

I wanted Stingers, then realized how much they cost, forgot about doing that, then wanted Magnapacks. At the time, they were $400 something closer to $500 everywhere I looked. Still too much for me. So then I started at the bottom end, found the MAC's, listened to a bunch of sound clips, and pulled the trigger on a CB for $320.

I had the same leak problems with that brand. I had to remove the driver side studs where it connects to the manifold and install bolts. That fixed that leak as far as I can tell. The clamps that are on the midpipe when i got it are crappy. One broke and cost me a pretty penny to get a new one welded on because they had to vcut the pipe for that flange. Still have tiny leaks where it meets the pipes you attach to the headers even after I beat it in with a hammer. I too tried 3inch clamps. I have flows too and it does sound awesome with the pipe! Very uniqe sound. But I will never buy a pypes product ever again.

I had the same leak problems with that brand. I had to remove the driver side studs where it connects to the manifold and install bolts. That fixed that leak as far as I can tell. The clamps that are on the midpipe when i got it are crappy. One broke and cost me a pretty penny to get a new one welded on because they had to vcut the pipe for that flange. Still have tiny leaks where it meets the pipes you attach to the headers even after I beat it in with a hammer. I too tried 3inch clamps. I have flows too and it does sound awesome with the pipe! Very uniqe sound. But I will never buy a pypes product ever again.

sounds like we share the same issues. we also had issues on the drivers side. the bolts would bottom out until i put in that soft metal ring. we were able to get it tight and sealed but that isnt the best way to do it. i have a feeling it will leak later on down the road. we considered too taking off the studs but looked like a chore - was it? as far as the leaks where the legs meet the X, i was tempted to use exhaust sealant there AND put the 3" clamps over it. i didnt because most people told me not to but i wished i had now.

i like the sound also but im with you, probably wont buy any other pypes products.

Studs are a bitch to get out. Ended up having to pay exhaust shop to get them out and replace them with bolts! I too tried sealant under the 3 inch clamps and it was horrible. I will end up getting it all welded together I think. Was very upset. I spent as much if not more on labor getting the pipe fixed right thant I payed for it! I did the install myself but still had to get a shop to fix a bunch of crap. I always tell people to stay away from pipes now!