Question about 3G install.

• Sponsors (?)

That white wire will go to the single terminal by itself on the 3G, next to the 3 prong plug. Cut the white wire back a few inches, and hook the white wire (from the 3 prong plug) to the single terminal. Soldering it should be fine.

I'm more of a picture than word guy. This should help you.

160505.jpg

160506.jpg

160507.jpg

Thats interesting about those pictures that Kevin posted. Mine isn't like that, I didn't reuse those two wires that you put the spade connectors on. I thought you weren't supposed to, I just have that big ass ugly plug hanging there. I thought the black/orange wires(the ones I'm speaking of) were too small to handle the power and could catch on fire?

Thats interesting about those pictures that Kevin posted. Mine isn't like that, I didn't reuse those two wires that you put the spade connectors on. I thought you weren't supposed to, I just have that big ass ugly plug hanging there. I thought the black/orange wires(the ones I'm speaking of) were too small to handle the power and could catch on fire?

You are correct, the way you mentioned is the correct way to do this. You do not reuse the factory power wire.

funny! i was just in the middle of doing my 86's 3g upgrade, and got confused so i stopped and went on here, and sure enough there is one right at the top about the 3g! unfortunately i have the 86' so i have to buy a connector:( i just bought it from pa performance and i think thats all i need. idk if theres anything else i need please help:) i bought the 130 amp from kragen it's for a 95' gt and i got the 462802a from paperformance.com.

My instructions from PA Performance tell me to use the new power wire ALONG WITH the old factory wires and they supplied new spade connectors that I soldered on. Just as was pictured above. :shrug:

Interesting, I have the PA Performance 3G kit along with their power wire kit and it said NOT to reuse the factory wiring when I done it. I'm going to see if I can dig up my instructions, maybe they have changed them now.:shrug:

Do not hook up the factory orange/black wires to the 3g alternator. No need to do this and will put a weak link in your system possibly causing a fire. This has been covered several times on here. Make sure you use at least a 4 gauge fused wire for power and an extra 4 gauge ground wire.

kit

I got the complete kit from PA. New 3G alternator, 4 gauge fused power cable, and assorted ring connectors and shrink tubing. The exact same kit that's used in the June 2008 issue of 5.0 Magazine.

In that article as well as in my instructions it says to cut the space connector off and solder on ring connectors instead and attach them both to the back of the alt along with the new 4 gauge fused power cable. :shrug:

I understand what you are saying glowstang93, and it makes sense to me, but I just find it strange that a well known company like PA Performance would get it wrong. :shrug:

So what did you guys do with the 2 unused power wires? tape them up and keep them there? Do they go directly into the solenoid so I can unplug it from there?

Also.. Glowstang93 mentioned to use an extra ground wire.. I hadnt seen that in any instrustions, but its a good idea.. Where does it connect to on the alternator?

I kept the stock plug in and just taped it up so if I ever "had" to go back to the old style in a pinch, it would be there. Probably never will unless broke down or something like that.

The ground I ran mine from where the negative battery cable connects to the block to the drivers side fender ground , right next to the solenoid and battery. And yes mine is a 2.3, but the principles are still the same, just different routing due to placement of alternator.
3g014.jpg

3g008.jpg