Question about emission and laws

Right now, I live in OK and we don't have a state inspection or emissions tests. My car is a 79, so it's now 25 years old, but the car has the complete drivetrain and EFI from a 92 GT. Say I move to TX, NV, or FL. Is there any laws and regulations on cars my age? Do I have to get cats and all that?

• Sponsors (?)

There's not an easy answer to your question. The federal laws stay the same, but locally the regs and inspection procedures vary by county and even city. So you can't make any general statements about it.

For the most part, if you've got a later model drivetrain in an older car, you're gonna be ok as most locations want the car to pass the emissions specs for the older car. And since the new engine will run cleaner than the old engine, it works in your favor - assuming the newer engine has all the emissions controls working properly. However, there are some locations where a swap like that means the vehicle has to pass the specs for the newer engine.

There's no way to remove all risk since the stock drivetrain has already been swapped. But you keep your risk minimized if you keep the 92 drivetrain emissions legal - both from a sniffer perspective and from a visual inspection perspective.

Unfortunately, it's not even that easy Jerry. We don't have any right here in TN -- currently. But they just started making noise that Knoxville may be in a non-attainment area for ozone (thanks TVA) and emissions inspections may be coming in the near future. So not having them currently is no guarantee that they won't start. I thought I was pretty clever ripping all that off mine when I rebuilt a year and half ago. Now I'm looking through boxes to see if I could put it back on if I have to. I know there is at least one county in Oregon that PROHIBITS engine swaps. Go figure. Some places in CA require inspections for all vehicles back to 68 with no 25 year grandfathering protection. So -- you have to look at the specific area you might be moving to, and find out what's going on there, and what might be going to happen in the near future. Anyone who makes broad generalizations about it just doesn't understand how dynamic and region-specific it is.

Michael hit it on the head. Poletitions get gready and inspections come in, luckily for me there is no emissions here, I mean I don't think they would look to kindly on a 70's block with no emissions period (no smog pump, no cats...) in a '93. Personnaly I don't worry about it, there will always be somebody willing to pass you ;)

Oh I see. I'm quite surprised FL doesn't have any emissions. I still have all the smog stuff like the pump, but I never had a cat H-pipe to begin with. Pretty much the states I listed, NV, FL, and TX were the ones I'm primarily interested in. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to worry too much due to my car's age now.

Jerry's told you about FL; don't know about NV - although if there is testing, I'd bet it's only if the car is registered in the LasVegas area; TX I think it depends on where you are - I know the Houston area has emissions testing, but the age of your car may make you safe; have to ask folks there.

here in texas they only inforce the sniffer test near dallas fortworth. You can simply go to mineralwells which is out of county and get it tested. They dont do the sniffer test there, just a safety inspection i.e.: lights, horn, etc....

Like I said in a PM.....don't know if you got it, but in Texas if your car is 25 yrs old you do not have to pass the emissions test. I'm not too sure about the visual part though. And as far as going to another county, you can only do that if the car is registered in a non emissions test county. If it is registered in Houston or Dallas in an emissions test county, and you try to get it inspected elsewhere, it will come back that it needs to be inspected in an emissions test county. Of course, if you know people living in the country......... :D

Good luck!

In Nevada emmissions are due every year, for a lot of cars including mine. I think that anything newer than about 1970 right now, has to be inspected. although I know that you won't need an air pump (or smog pump), i don't think that the 1979 came with one. There are definately inspection guys here that like tips, although finding one is a little difficult.

-There are emmisions tests in clark county (las vegas area) and near reno and carson city, i don't know about the rest of NV

well what i meant by going out of county, is doing something a little illegal... make a false insurance card and pretend that you are a local resident..... dont recommened this, but when all else fails you gotta do what you gotta do!!!