Question: EEC fuse burning out - Please Help!

GRGT1994

Sep 22, 2004
I posted this over in the 94-95 section, but you guys might have some ideas too. Anyway here goes.

Here's my situation. I just swapped my header bolts out for a set of locking bolts (other set kept backing out). And I put a plate over the EGR valve to elbow opening (as a temporary fix til I get a pipe from the headers to the EGR). In order to get at all of the header bolts, I had to pull the battery, the CAI pipe, and the emissions stuff that runs right along side of the header on the passenger side (along with a couple of small vacuum lines that were in the way).

So I put everything back together, and now when I try to fire up the engine it immediately burns out the EEC high current fuse in the box under the hood. I replaced it once, and burned it right out again.

Any ideas on what I might have hit or messed up that would cause this? Any suggestions on things to look for?

• Sponsors (?)

BTW, I noticed a connector on the driver side just behind the battery that I don't seem to have another connection for. Here is a picture of it with the battery removed. It's a little grey thing. And it appears to have been hooked up to something at some point. But I can't remember disconnecting it when I pulled the battery.

Anyone know what this is or where it goes?

Oh ya, the previous owner had an alarm installed. I don't think this is a part of that, but I guess it could be. Right near this is a rats next of crappy loose wire from a big box store's hacked install.

680313_18_full.jpg

I don't have much knowledge with the SN cars... how is the fuse blowing? Is it the minute you replace it or does it blow when you turn on the key? Both of these symptoms are typically caused be a pinched wire or a crossed wire that overloads your fuse. I'd start going over all the parts you touched and look for loose, damaged wires.

Id look at a wiring diagram and see if there is a ground that has been disconnected and/or loosened. Im a fox body guy and I know one of the EEC grounds is in the same place as the picture (drivers side fenderwall/front). I see the black wire connected to the dangling white wire in the pic. I am tempted to call that a ground for the EEC as well. Good Luck