Question for guys who let their cars set for long periods.

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
How long can you let a car set before worrying about tire damage? I know if you are gonna put the car away for a year it is a good idea to take the weight off of the suspension, but what about just a few weeks or a month. Reason I ask is I went to drive my GT this morning and since the weather has cooled off I figured I should check the air in the tires. I noticed my front passenger side tire had a nasty split on the sidewall. This is on a set of BFG Radial T/A tires that have less than 7K miles on them. The car only sets for at most two weeks between being driven. I guess this could have just been a faulty tire. I am just glad I noticed it setting still before it blew out going 70 MPH on the highway.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a good question. I haven't driven mine since August and no problems. Heck. I might even fire it up right now! I have BFG's on the rear and no problems. It might be a combo of rough weather and faulty tire.

You have to check or at least look at the tires and stuff if you let it sit that long. My everyday cars can sit at an airport for a week or more and be fine. But my Capri and Mustang need to be checked for tire pressure every couple weeks no matter what. I just did that on the Mustang. The low was 19 and the high was 42 psi. Whatever.

I regularly let my stang sit for a month or so. In the winter it can go for 2 or 3 months between drive, depending on the weather. I always check the tire pressure before going out and expect them to flat spot for a bit and run rough for the first 2 or 3 miles until they warm up. Other than that I've never had a problem. Sounds like you must have gotten a bad tire.

The main thing I try to do is remember to put in some fuel stabilizer and run it through the system before parking the car for the winter.