Question for suspension gurus

techdbw

Apr 10, 2004
Took my car to an autox for the first time.( 89lx coupe 2.3t, gt swaybars, stock springs, stock shocks, dominator tires)

My problem is too much understeer, I would like to get the car to be more neutral handling.

I realize the most important suspension upgrade is the nut behind the wheel, so I will be taking my car to a high perf driving school next weekend.

I did upgrade all 4 tires from the dominators to Yokohama AVS ES100 in 245/45/16.

My question is-Will the new stickier tires just allow me to go faster before the understeer occurs?

If so, what are some changes I could make to get the car more neutral handling?

• Sponsors (?)

The new tires will definatly help, however, being a mustang it is always going to understeer.
Modifying the mustang suspension is difficult though, because the rear suspension is designed poorly, and likes to induce snap oversteer, and suspension bind which creats bad oversteer. Not cool when you are taking a hard right hander. :eek:
What you can do is go with fresh struts/shocks all the way around. Something high performance would be good. You should definatly upgrade to 11" 5.0 brakes. They use different struts from your current brakes, so I would do them at the same time as you do the struts.
Then, I would go with stiffer springs. They won't help that much in ultimate grip, but they will allow you to make quick direction changes and
will make the car more responcive. If you are serious about it, get coil overs. They absolutly kick ass. CC plates will probably become nescicary to run enough negative camber and should really come early on.
I hear the sub frame connectors really help, but check the class you run in first. I beleive they are illegal until you get to street prepared, which is very competitve.
Beyond that, Polyurethane bushings in the front helps.
For the rear, don't put any bushings in the rear control arms. I wouldn't do anything with the rear control arms. Start with a pan hard bar, and eventually go to a torque arm if you get serious.
Thats about everything I can still out right now. If you have any more questions, just ask. If you are wondering where I picked all this info up, it was mostly from the "Mustang performance handbook 2" and www.cornercarvers.com or net, or something (great site to research, but are close nit, and arn't receptive to newbies).

Thanx for the info bhuff.

I did check cornercarvers, and you are right on about the noob stuff. I did find some good info on there for the Fox body.
Some guy name wiki lists suspension mods for budget minded folk, like myself.
I am building the car for my own satisfaction and don't really care what class I end up in. If I was thinking about being competitive I would give up now, bc I got smoked by a 16 year old girl on my first outing. If I am reading the rules correctly, then my 2.3t puts me in prepared at least, maybe modified. I will be putting on the subframe connectors in the next few weeks to stiffen up the car and reduce squeaks and rattles.I already have the 11" f brake parts, I am waiting for more funds so I can do the struts/springs/cc plates at the same time.

I agree with getting subs put on, just make sure that you use full length and that they are welded in place. Mine made a huge difference and I would say to anyone else get them. You might want to try a Strut Tower Brace, that would help to tighten up the front a little. Since you have a 89 you can use a 4 point G load brace to help too.

Dan