Question for Texas classics about tint

Do any of you guys in here know what the stipulations are on window tinting and how dark you can go up to a certain year, I will prob. call the local DMV, but I though some of you classic guys might know. I have a 74 260z as a project, and I dont wanna have to remove any expensive tint!!
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Banditlead said:
With the Straight Six?
My neighbor has a 7(8?) 280Z, till I rode in his, I always thought Datsuns were a joke, but they move pretty well.

Yeah, it has the 6 in it, 2 weber carbs ,and it will move, dont get me wrong, it wont hang with the pony, but I got it for classic appeal, and I have always wanted one, love the body style. I tell you what though, adjusting TWO carburators is a PAIN!!! :rolleyes:

contact your local tint shop rather than the dmv, as they will know better what level tint is allowed since it is their business to.

oh and when it comes to the datsun Z cars, i like the 240z and the 300z in that order. all the others dont count as far as i am concerned.:D:D

Texas Tint Law Enacted: 2003
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN TEXAS?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Texas, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN TEXAS?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 25% reflective.

OTHER TEXAS RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

I didn't know about the side mirror rule. :shrug:

I dont think it makes any difference what the year model is.

Cool, thanks for the post, very helpful, I didnt know that either, but looks like Im gonna be doing something wrong, cuz Z's only have a mirror on the drivers side from the older years...

BTW, it has a 240 engine in it..... best of both worlds, stock A/C, yet no smog crap!!