Fox Question on Holley 4180C carburetor

mercury-man

Mar 17, 2022
Texas
I have a very original 1984 Mustang with 85k miles.

When I got this car, it had its original Holley 4180C carburetor. The car was hard to start. Had to pump the accelerator about 20 times if the car sat for a few days.

I had the 4180C overhauled but the hard starting was still there. The shop that did the overhaul of the carburetor finally determined that the metering block had a leak.

My car ran just fine after the 4180C overhaul, but I did not like having to pump the accelerator ten or twelve times to start my car after it had been sitting.

I finally decided to replace the carburetor in my car with a new Holley 4160. My Mustang now starts instantly regardless of how long it sits.

Questions:
1. What is the value of my original Holley 4180C?
2. Is there a plus to keep the original Holley 4180C so that it can stay with my Mustang when the day comes that I sell my Mustang?

Attached are some pictures of the 4180C carburetor.

after #3.jpeg
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Yes, I'd keep it. Any original hard parts should be bagged and stashed for future sale/resto.
Sounds like the original carb has a accelerator pump issue.
Thanks for your thoughts. Because my car is so original, I suspect that it will some day go to a serious Fox notchback collector, so I had been sort of inclined to keep its original carburetor with the car.

Here is link to video of my car:

View: https://youtu.be/_Lr-b4LJzHM

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I had the original carb on my 67 Dodge and finally gave up and installed a new one... NIght and day difference... Like the General said, keep the new one with any other original parts you take off of it.....
I have one of those carbs off of my 83... On the shelf it went...
DSCF0769.JPG
DSCF0770.JPG

There is some value to the original carb. I have a couple on the shelf that I have picked up for about $100 each when I was planning on a V8 swap into another car.

The higher value would be to keep the original parts and have them stay with such a car for the future.

Those were the last carbs before FI..... Personally I think they are what I would call a "Smog" carb and don't do anything well.... My sister ( who owned my 83 since 84/85) told me she had nothing but carb problems with it the cars entire life...... Of course she was trying to get it to pass California CARB license tests every time she updated the plates, so I am not sure how much this played into the problem....

Those were the last carbs before FI..... Personally I think they are what I would call a "Smog" carb and don't do anything well.... My sister ( who owned my 83 since 84/85) told me she had nothing but carb problems with it the cars entire life...... Of course she was trying to get it to pass California CARB license tests every time she updated the plates, so I am not sure how much this played into the problem....
Those were 'basic' Holley carbs, the 'smog' carbs were in the 70's with a hundred vacuum lines connected to them.

I had the original carb on my 67 Dodge and finally gave up and installed a new one... NIght and day difference... Like the General said, keep the new one with any other original parts you take off of it.....
I have one of those carbs off of my 83... On the shelf it went...
DSCF0769.JPG
DSCF0770.JPG
**********************************************************************************

Thanks. Keeping the original 4180C Carb with my Mustang is probably the right answer.

My car ran OK with the 4180C but it runs even better with the new 4160. And my car now starts instantly even if it sits for a week.

Reactions: 1 user
Those were 'basic' Holley carbs, the 'smog' carbs were in the 70's with a hundred vacuum lines connected to them.
Next time I see you I will show you the smog devices I pulled off of this car.... An engineers nightmare...
Although I do remember my fathers car with one of Fords better idea's, the variable venturi carb....