Question regarding MAC catted H pipe.

DMAN302

My mom says thanks for the pearl necklace.
Nov 8, 2003
windsor, Canada
Ok looking at making the car a little more enviormentally freindly...(AKA local ministry has created a crew of 'smog cops', a mobile unit that likes to take a look see for emissions violations. Anyhow, I found the MAC catted H pipe to fit my MAC long tubes..however the piece has the air line to the smog pump. Now since my heads do not have the emissions port to run the line from the heads to the smog pump line, I can't really run a line from the smog pump to the cats from what I can tell. Now if I don't run the air line from the smog pump to the cats, will the cats be damaged as a result of not running the above mentioned line? Can I crimp off the line at the H like my present pipe has? Or will the lack of a line pumping air to the cats damage them?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think it will hurt them. You might have a little higher readings coming out the back if you have to do a sniffer test since there's no air mixing with it, but I think that's about it.

There are several kinds of cat converters around. The ones without the air tube for the smog pump are for the newer cleaner running cars. The ones with an air tube use the older style catalyst and need the air to properly function. Run them without the air from the smog pump and they are less efficent and clog sooner.

Assuming that you mean the MAC H-pipe has a fitting stickin' out for a smog pump line: Just use a short bit of 1/2" silicone high-heat hose, thread a big fat 1/2" bolt into one end of it, hose-clamp it into place, and then slip the other end over that useless smog pump fitting. That way, if they look and freak out that it's not connected to a smog pump, your pipe's not permanently modified and you can bolt up a smog pump and tube without a major hassle.

Otherwise ... crimp n' weld it.