Question regarding running different size tires front and rear

asoka05

Oct 16, 2011
hi guys,

i have a 2010 mustang v6, which comes stock with 17 x 7.0 in. wheels and P225/60R17 tires .

I'm trying to change my wheels to a nicer set of wheels and came across a set that has 18X9.5 FRONTS 255/45ZR18 AND THE REARS ARE 285/40ZR18

Will I run into issues running these set of wheels and tires? Will I have clearance issue?

Will it be an issue to have a wider tire in the rear compared to the front for a V6?

• Sponsors (?)

Not an issue running different sizes front and back, I will next tire purchase. Just won't be able to rotate. As for the clearance, not sure there.

i like your wheels! i think its the premium wheels package for 2010+ right?

im worried about the abs light, and tmps.

does the wider tires / bigger wheels cause significant MPG lost ?

My wheels are the stock GT/CS package wheels. The background is dark gray and "GT" is cut into one spoke.

unload022-1.jpg

Those tires will fit fine and provided the offset on the rims is proper you should have no clearance issues. You will however need to get the circumference if the new tires and adjust through a hand held tuner so your speedo will be accurate.

Craigs list Dallas has a lot of listings for GT pull off wheels....18's, 19's.
Dirt Cheap!!!
With new Pirellis...If your not racing the car why put bigger tires on back.
Rotation is a good thing.

yeah, good point. I didn't think about the rotating the tires later on.

I was thinking of getting bigger tires on the back because there is a set of tires that I am interested in buying comes with a wider rear set of tires.

My wheels are the stock GT/CS package wheels. The background is dark gray and "GT" is cut into one spoke.

unload022-1.jpg

i love the wheels ! :) imma try and find me a set of those!

Those tires will fit fine and provided the offset on the rims is proper you should have no clearance issues. You will however need to get the circumference if the new tires and adjust through a hand held tuner so your speedo will be accurate.

well, im not really worried about the speedo being inaccurate because I'm figuring that the difference will be 1-2 mph .. thanks :)

I have 315-30-18 BFG on the back of my Mustang. Stock suspension, although it does have the Roush wheels. I have no rubbing issues other than the tires being so soft and they dont last long at ALL!! I suggest checking on what the "Roush" wheel specs are and I would check and see what your new wheel choice specs are. Compare and then make a tire choice... Nothing like having offset tires.

I have an 06 mustang gt that is lowered... 2in in the back, 1 1/4in in the front... I have offset tires like your talking about and have no issues... my sizes are 285/35/18 in the back and 265/35/18 in the front... like other post have said, my speedo was off (about 5mph actually) till I changed my tire size in my SCT tuner. Another post said somethin about tires wearing out faster and I can say the same, replaced two Falkens in the back after about six months costed about $650... and besides about 12 passes down the 1/4 mile I drive like an old lady in her... You have a V6 so IDK if it would be the same for you? (I mean absolutely no disrespect by that) I hope you decide to get em, they look good man! :nice: