Question's about buying new SALEEN body kit - price, paint, quality, install, etc.

tmoneyballin

Aug 16, 2006
Suwanee, GA
I need to repaint my front cobra bumper and my hood has chips and spiderwebbing so I was considering picking up a real Saleen body kit and getting it professionally painted and installed. I already have the rims and I think it would be a great addition to the car.

I have owned a Saleen kit car and I know from experience they are VERY hard to paint correctly (most commonly they spider web...) so I was wondering if there is a specific process to get it painted and how much time will I typically have to leave my car with the body shop to get the work done RIGHT? Will any body shop do, or do I need to find one that specializes in a certain type of body and paint work?

Also was curious if anyone has done this with their mustang recently and if so how much did it cost you for the kit, paint, and install - or at least a rough estimate if you know how much it relatively costs. I know if you get it done the wrong way it easily detioriates - usally spiderwebbing on the front facia or cracking.

The other question pertains to quality - should I buy an "authentic" direct from Saleen kit or can I go with a cheaper supplier - someone who specializes in selling body kits for all types of cars - on Ebay. I have seen two companies advertise the kits for about $500 shipped(shipping is actually half the cost involved) and they "claim" it comes with front + rear bumpers, side skirts and any meshing for the grills. I mean, for starters I know I have to verify if it is actually an "authentic" saleen kit not a knock off, but is that the main concern with this buying situation - or is the quality likely to be poor and not fit/install corretly?

I tried looking at their feedback to gauge the quality and service but I couldn't find a customer who purchased the "94 - 98 Saleen Kit" There were some stangers that purchased a "cobra stalker" kit and there is a comment or two to the effect that in needed some decent work to get it to fit correctly...

I got burned by a generic tachometer recently(defective, or not for 98 Cobra's) so I REALLY don't want to burn myself again. The only catch is I don't feel like dropping 3 grand on the project - $2,000 - ish sounded a little more reasonable!

Let me know my options and your experience with this situation... THANKS

This appered to be the better seller and it is CHEAP as far as price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9...tegoryZ36475QQihZ018QQitemZ280080638579QQrdZ1

• Sponsors (?)

I just had an authentic saleen body kit installed on my car. I went with a kit from Downs Ford. The body shop installed side skirts, side scoops, front and rear valance and 3 piece rear spoiler. The kit cost me $1749 shipped. The installation and paint work was a nightmare from what the bodyshop told me. They had to sand and bondo areas on the parts. Also, they primed the kit 3 times! All in all it came out very nice. The bodyshop charged me 2200 but that also included painting a hood. This was labor, paint and installation. All in all I have about $4000 in the kit. Good luck with it.

Thanks guys for the input.

My homework concluded that A, the knock off kits are fiberglass - which is known to spider web chip and break easily with any movement(flexing, hitting something, etc) so in the short run it looks sweet, but in the long run it looks crappy(will have to get it repainted more frequently...) Also the knock off kits typically requrie a lot more man hours with prep time and proper fitment. B, to get it done right I am looking at $4,000 at the minimum (about $1200 for the kit with decals, already have a saleen spoiler on my car...) and up to $2800 to be spent on a cowl hood and painting and install for all of the above mentioned parts.

I was entertaining putting just the front fascia on and callling it a day, but my friend insisted if I am going to change the "bad A$$" look of my cobra to a Saleen I either leave it the same or put the ENTIRE kit on and do it "right". He was right, I couldn't argue with that.

What I will do is try and part out my existing cobra body kit (front and rear bumpers and side skirts) Also my cobra hood and a gt hood that is brand new just sitting in my basement. In addition, I have a set of 98 cobra rims with good tires that should be able to fetch at the minimum $600. I also have a high flow x pipe that I could sell. So I could probably pull together at least a grand if I sold most of those parts. That would knock the price down to about $3,000 for the project and the overall exchange of parts would be a better way to "pitch" it to the wife!

Thanks guys for the input.

My homework concluded that A, the knock off kits are fiberglass - which is known to spider web chip and break easily with any movement(flexing, hitting something, etc) so in the short run it looks sweet, but in the long run it looks crappy(will have to get it repainted more frequently...) Also the knock off kits typically requrie a lot more man hours with prep time and proper fitment. B, to get it done right I am looking at $4,000 at the minimum (about $1200 for the kit with decals, already have a saleen spoiler on my car...) and up to $2800 to be spent on a cowl hood and painting and install for all of the above mentioned parts.

I was entertaining putting just the front fascia on and callling it a day, but my friend insisted if I am going to change the "bad A$$" look of my cobra to a Saleen I either leave it the same or put the ENTIRE kit on and do it "right". He was right, I couldn't argue with that.

What I will do is try and part out my existing cobra body kit (front and rear bumpers and side skirts) Also my cobra hood and a gt hood that is brand new just sitting in my basement. In addition, I have a set of 98 cobra rims with good tires that should be able to fetch at the minimum $600. I also have a high flow x pipe that I could sell. So I could probably pull together at least a grand if I sold most of those parts. That would knock the price down to about $3,000 for the project and the overall exchange of parts would be a better way to "pitch" it to the wife!

I wouldnt be so sure abotu that. Saleen fitment is apparently one of the worst in the industry, and that is OEM saleen stuff.

So in other words, buying "real" Saleen body kits are a waste of money - if in theory the aftermarket "can" fit better? I just know the whole fiberglass being less durable and it seems all the aftermarket kits are fiberglass and the knock off urethane kits are like 200-300 bucks cheaper than the real saleen kits....

I know the ground effects almost ALWAYS spider web and chip easy so I am not trying to go the "cheap route" on an expensive purchase.

No the Saleen kits are bette because they are urethane but they will still be a bitch to prep and paint.

From most post si have seen it takes at least 2 times to paint it to get the finish right.

I would keep the cobra bumper as imo it looks better than the 94-98 Saleens anyway.

Yeah one of my friends said the same thing - leave it how it is. Other stangers I associate with say DO IT. I guess if I can find a reasonable deal to repaint my front bumper I might just go that route and then just throw a 5" cowl hood on. The rear bumper and pretty much the rear of the car have all been repainted recently due to somebody rear ending me...The 18" 99-04 Rims really make the car STAND OUT - and it's yellow....I guess we'll see what the "damage" to the wallet will be for the new hood, paint for the hood and the front bumper, and blending...I would attach a picture but it says the file is too large...

Thanks for the input!