Questions About Custom Brake Lines On A 67

polo708

Aug 17, 2007
Miami, FL
Restomod project on a 67 Coupe. Starting the brakes from scratch and looking at bending my own nicopp brake lines. Any advice is appreciated...

My main question is what determines the brake line size I should use? 1/4” or 3/16”?

I have 4 disc brakes and a stroker motor estimated at 450hp.

• Sponsors (?)

1/4 or 3/16" brake line is acceptable, the brake system operates on pressure not fluid flow.

as for making your own brake lines, it is easy enough to do. you first need a good tubing bender, there are plenty on the market so pick one or two. if you have any questions about any of them, just ask, be sure to post up a picture of the bender in question.

before you bend tubing one, start by using something for a pattern, coat hangers, mig welding wire, or what ever that will hold a shape can be used to make patterns. once you have your patterns made, you can then start bending brake line to fit the pattern. take your time, and match the pattern. and leave yourself a little extra line at each end where fittings will be installed to allow for flaring the ends.

and remember BEFORE flaring the ends, put any fittings you plan to use on the lines.

something else you need to consider before bending tube one, and that is where and how you will secure the lines to the chassis. you also need to take into account the ability to service the system as needed without tearing half the car apart.

one more thing, decide now what material you are going to use for brake lines. stainless steel is great for show cars, but is hard to bend and flare. mild steel is easy to bend, but flaring can be an issue, especially if you are using seamed tubing, DOM is better.

line up the tools you are going to need before you start, constantly running to the parts store to get tubing benders, flaring tools, tubing wrenches, etc.all makes the job take far longer.

but you don have an option, there are a couple of companies you might want to check into. they make prebent tubing at reasonable prices, and they have all kinds of fittings and other things you will need;

http://www.classictube.com/

https://www.inlinetube.com/

so check their websites out. they have stuff that will make things easier when doing this job.

If you are going through the effort the best recommendation I have it to use stainless steel. Cost is higher, effort required is much higher, but longevity is off the charts compared the mild steel tubing they sell these days.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are going through the effort the best recommendation I have it to use stainless steel. Cost is higher, effort required is much higher, but longevity is off the charts compared the mild steel tubing they sell these days.

while i agree with you on stainless steel, my question is, how many times in the life of the car have you replaced brake lines? for instance with the exception of a couple of lines near the master cylinder to convert to a dual master cylinder, the brake lines, and fuel lines on my 64 falcon are the same ones put on by the factory in late 1963. same with the steel lines on my 66 mustang, they are also factory lines.

stainless steel is great, especially if you are building a show car in a non factory class. but for a daily driver, i personally think that stainless steel is unnecessary.

however if you choose to go with stainless steel, then hitting up the sites i listed would be the best way to go for the average person if they have little or no experience bending up stainless lines.