Questions about power steering delete!! Need help!!

Thomas.h2004

Jul 13, 2020
Missouri
Ok so I have a 01 mustang gt that I’ve done a ac delete on and I’m wanting to do get rid of the ps as well. It’s not a daily. The car will be trailered so I don’t care about not having the ps. I know I have to switch to manual breaks which I am in the process of doing. But my question is. Do I really have to switch to a manual rack ? Or can I just remove all the ps lines off of the rack and cap them off so it doesn’t get dirt inside or leak anything out ? I don’t see why I couldn’t do that and just run a manual break kit, buy a shorter belt and close off the open ports on the rack. I couldn’t find anything on trying this so I wanted to ask. Let me know. Thanks

• Sponsors(?)

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Yes, you should switch to a manual rack.

However. plenty of people have just looped the lines on the power rack and driven plenty of miles like that.

The issue is the power rack was designed with assist in mind. The gearing is a bit taller as a result, so if you do some heavy manuvers, (3-point turns for example), it's slowly chewing those gears up inside and eventually you get a failure. Now, if you are just backing it off a trailer and making a few passes and then going back to the trailer, the rack will likely hold out a lot longer than someone who is DD'ing the car and making 90* turns all day long with fat tires. In other words, you're mileage may vary.

Thomas.h2004

Jul 13, 2020
Missouri
Yes, you should switch to a manual rack.

However. plenty of people have just looped the lines on the power rack and driven plenty of miles like that.

The issue is the power rack was designed with assist in mind. The gearing is a bit taller as a result, so if you do some heavy manuvers, (3-point turns for example), it's slowly chewing those gears up inside and eventually you get a failure. Now, if you are just backing it off a trailer and making a few passes and then going back to the trailer, the rack will likely hold out a lot longer than someone who is DD'ing the car and making 90* turns all day long with fat tires. In other words, you're mileage may vary.
Awesome that’s good to know. I only drive the cars on the weekends so it’s not often and all my driving is on the highway. As far as deleting the pulley do you recommend a electric water pump or just a shorter belt ? I have a picture I found but I wasn’t sure if it would actually work when under load

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S 66 Mustang Coup Power Steering Gearbox questions 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
F EVO Power Steering question Other Auto Tech 1
W Power steering question 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
G Borgeson Power Steering Box Upgrade Question (SOLVED) 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 7
C Hello And Power Steering Question SVT Tech Forum 1
A Powersteering Rack Upgrade Questions! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
V Underdrive Power Steering Pump Pulley Question On Supercharged 4.6 SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
F Power Steering Question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
joetrainer31 SN95 Power Steering Delete Question 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 10
bizkit1976 1966 Mustang Power Steering Pump Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
jlangholzj Power Steering Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
brtnstrns Power steering pump question 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
P Power steering fluid change, got some questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
Chowder Head Quick questions regarding the power steering lines 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
S power steering question SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
mustangford289 Parts Guy Question, Power Steering 5.4 and 4.6 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 3
S power steering pump question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
C Another Power Steering Question 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
D Power Steering Lines Question (98 GT) SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
Darkwriter77 Stoopid power steering fluid question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
D Newby - '99 power steering pulley question SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
Falcon79 1968 coupe power steering question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
S Power Steering question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
6 Questions about power steering Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
S Power Steering Pump Pulley Question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
F power steering question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
K Stupid Power Steering Question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
8 Power steering rack question? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
stang1986GT Another power steering question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
S Power Steering Question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
S Power Steering Question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
allballsmustang power steering question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
6 Power Steering Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
automart Power steering question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
fox racer Power steering lines Question (5.0 vs. 4cyl) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
S Power Steering Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
automart 70 Mustang 351 C power steering question? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
K Power Steering Fluid / Brake Fluid Questions? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
67bluestang 67 power steering question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
D Power Steering Question on 68 Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
M power steering pump question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
automart 70 Mach I power steering pump question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
S Power Steering Question 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 8
GrandeStang73 Power Steering Pump Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
gruvee87vertgt Dumb simpley question. How do to remove the Pully from the Power steering pump? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
Shadrack Power Steering question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
68converted Power steering hose and SHORTY headers Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 18
mudbilly power steering question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
G Power Steering Pump Question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
dw89lx Power steering pump removal questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5