Questions about power steering delete!! Need help!!

Thomas.h2004

Jul 13, 2020
Missouri
Ok so I have a 01 mustang gt that I’ve done a ac delete on and I’m wanting to do get rid of the ps as well. It’s not a daily. The car will be trailered so I don’t care about not having the ps. I know I have to switch to manual breaks which I am in the process of doing. But my question is. Do I really have to switch to a manual rack ? Or can I just remove all the ps lines off of the rack and cap them off so it doesn’t get dirt inside or leak anything out ? I don’t see why I couldn’t do that and just run a manual break kit, buy a shorter belt and close off the open ports on the rack. I couldn’t find anything on trying this so I wanted to ask. Let me know. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, you should switch to a manual rack.

However. plenty of people have just looped the lines on the power rack and driven plenty of miles like that.

The issue is the power rack was designed with assist in mind. The gearing is a bit taller as a result, so if you do some heavy manuvers, (3-point turns for example), it's slowly chewing those gears up inside and eventually you get a failure. Now, if you are just backing it off a trailer and making a few passes and then going back to the trailer, the rack will likely hold out a lot longer than someone who is DD'ing the car and making 90* turns all day long with fat tires. In other words, you're mileage may vary.

Yes, you should switch to a manual rack.

However. plenty of people have just looped the lines on the power rack and driven plenty of miles like that.

The issue is the power rack was designed with assist in mind. The gearing is a bit taller as a result, so if you do some heavy manuvers, (3-point turns for example), it's slowly chewing those gears up inside and eventually you get a failure. Now, if you are just backing it off a trailer and making a few passes and then going back to the trailer, the rack will likely hold out a lot longer than someone who is DD'ing the car and making 90* turns all day long with fat tires. In other words, you're mileage may vary.
Awesome that’s good to know. I only drive the cars on the weekends so it’s not often and all my driving is on the highway. As far as deleting the pulley do you recommend a electric water pump or just a shorter belt ? I have a picture I found but I wasn’t sure if it would actually work when under load

Attachments

• 65E09F11-78FE-476F-97A7-2DE7296EAE81.png
    65E09F11-78FE-476F-97A7-2DE7296EAE81.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 141