Questions On 351w Heads On 302 Block

bhoove40

May 3, 2015
Hello all,
I have 1988 mustang gt and am having motor problems. A family friend offered me a brand new 302 crate motor for 500$. Obviously he's helping me out and i would be an idiot not to take this deal. However, he wants me to put 351W heads on the 302 block. He also has these. I have a few questions concerning the change.
1. Will my stock 302 intake manifold fit?
2. Should i use 302 head gaskets or 351W head gaskets?
3. Can i use the same valves, lifters etc?
4. Should i install a cam and MSD ignition with this switch?
5. The bolts are slightly different, what are my options here?

Overall the car has long tube BBK headers, k&n airfilter.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello all,
I have 1988 mustang gt and am having motor problems. A family friend offered me a brand new 302 crate motor for 500$. Obviously he's helping me out and i would be an idiot not to take this deal. However, he wants me to put 351W heads on the 302 block. He also has these. I have a few questions concerning the change.
1. Will my stock 302 intake manifold fit?
2. Should i use 302 head gaskets or 351W head gaskets?
3. Can i use the same valves, lifters etc?
4. Should i install a cam and MSD ignition with this switch?
5. The bolts are slightly different, what are my options here?

Overall the car has long tube BBK headers, k&n airfilter.
The head swap is no different from any other head swap. 351 head bolts are 1/2" 302's are 7/16". If it's a factory 351W head, the intake water passages will be different. If its bare,The valves will not interchange. There are more threaded holes for the intake bolts in the head if it's factory, but the 302/5.0 manifold will still bolt up, and seal. The difference between the intake sets is that the cork/rubber valley gaskets will be wider if you get an intake manifold gasket for a 351. Most people omit the gasket anyway and replace that w/ a gi-honkin bead of RTV anyway.
Depending on the age of the engine, what your family friend could be offering you is either a roller, or non roller lifter block. (i.e. either a 302 or a 5.0) If the engine is pre-roller lifter, (302) you'll have to select a different method if you want the benefit of a roller lifter in the engine. If it's a 5.0, you'll seethe threaded holes in the valley for the spider that holds factory roller lifters in place.

Everything else is the same as 302.

Reactions: 1 users